300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

adding grounding points

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 06:36 AM

adding grounding points

ive read on various sites about adding grounding points , where exactly do you conect the points? is it straight off the negative to ground points or is it off other electrical components to ground points? all these various sites are relativly the same but make it sound a lil diffrent everytime. im trying to get the real and most beneficial way to do this on a N/A?.... is it really worth doing? thanks a lot for anyones help!
Old 01-21-2004, 10:32 AM

Follow this procedure.

http://www.ttzd.com/tech/groundnettech.html
Old 01-21-2004, 11:47 AM

yes, i read that, and im wanting to know from someone personally what they did, b/c that site dosent tell you exact points to start and end to, thats what im trying to find out here, exact precise locations of where to run off and to, are all the wires just ran off the battery negative to various locations or are they ran off other electrial parts , then to ground? im all confused, will someone let me know with a more detailed explanation, hahaha, thanks
Old 01-21-2004, 10:34 PM

I did this. Stillen sells it for $130 or so. It took 45 minutes and cost $25. I ran an alternate ground from the battery to the chassis using 4 gauge wire with ring terminals on each side. I ran it from the battery to the same spot as the factory chassis ground. Using 8 gauge wire, you will make 2 other ground leads. There are 2 wires on each of the leads. You run 2 eight gauge wires into 1 four gauge ring terminal. You do this this on both leads. This is what connects to your battery. 1 lead will connect to 2 points on the passenger side on the car. The other lead connects to 1 point on the back on the engine, and 1 point on the driver side. Starting on the passenger side. The 2 wires need to be approximately 18" and 30". Attach 8 gauge ring terminals to the end of each wire. The 18" lead runs to the plenum. There is a bracket held on to the top of the plenum, behind the throttle body. Un-thread the bolt the attaches the bracket and attach the 1st wire there. The second wire attaches to the mounting bracket of the HICAS. Use the bolt that is on the back/passenger side of the mount. The 2nd lead runs along the back of the engine compartment. The wires should be approx 18" and 42". Attach ring terminals to the ends of the wires, just like on the first set of wires. The 18" lead is attached to the mounting bolt on the back of the plenum. This bolt attaches the plenum to the top engine. The 2nd wire attaches to the wire harness bracket on the driver side, on the top of the plenum behind the throttle body. It's the exact opposite of the one you attached the 1st wire to on the passenger side. In the end, you've added a supplemental ground and 4 grounding points in the engine compartment. Go onto Stillen's site and check-out what they have. It'll give you an idea of what you're amking. The website listed in the previous is what I used to walk me through. Good luck!
Old 01-22-2004, 12:05 AM
Administrative Brown Guy

I did something similar as well. Not as extensive as 91zxtt though. Mainly because I have a higher end sound system and all that extra wiring in the engine compartment that only carries ground might introduce RMI or alternator whine. As anyone who listens to the radio knows that the less the interference the better.
Old 01-22-2004, 08:15 PM

I was concerned with that as well, and I have noticed no alternator whine at all. My system is no slouch either.