300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Which is the best consult 1 replacement????

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 11:01 PM

Which is the best consult 1 replacement????

Hi, i'm new here and on a bit of a mission.
I've got a 300ZXTT it's working well but I want to connect my ECU to my laptop for maintance, fault finding and tuning, I've found these 2 products.
Have you any comments about either.

The first one is in NZ, it's the "blaZt cable and software"
Link to the software here
http://www.4-your.com/nissan/interface_cable.html

And the Dutch one ConZult from DTA motorsport, link here
http://www.dta-motorsport.co.uk/conzult/index.htm

The cost does come into it as I see the Kiwi one is about a third of the
cost of the Dutch version, Is it realy worth it????

Thanks in advance for your help
Old 05-24-2005, 05:20 AM

God those programs are expensive... I'm used to using Uberdata on my Civic, it works excellent, I would highly recommend trying to get a Data Logging program of some kind.

The BlaZt program looks pretty decent, I would probably go with that.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:10 AM
Jack Of All Trades

Hey, I appreciate the link. It's gonna be a fun little toy/tool to play with. whatever the cost, comparably speaking, it's worth it. If you absolutely get stuck on a little problem with your car, what does it cost to take it to the dealer, or repair shop for diagnostics? $100? lol......... I wonder if they have one that reads in *F instead of *C?
Old 05-24-2005, 04:06 PM

Hi again,

Nismo LMR, What did you pay for Uberdata?
You mentioned a data logger, I was reading through the Blazt site and spotted one, there is a link to it on this page
http://www.4-your.com/nissan/interface_cable.html

I'm seriously looking at the <A href="http://www.4-your.com/nissan/interface_cable.html"><B>Blazt unit</B></A> as the cost is much cheaper and looks to do the same job.

Gone I think are the days of taking the car to be diagnosed.

Hi Canyon Carver, I think your comments are quite valid.
Sorry I might be a bit dence here but what do you mean by *F and *C ?
<BR>
Old 05-24-2005, 05:26 PM
Jack Of All Trades

Originally Posted by chas300tt
Sorry I might be a bit dence here but what do you mean by *F and *C ?
<BR>
lol... sorry, I was trying to abreviate. On a standard computer keyboard, alot of people use the "*" (asterisk?) key to represent a degree symbol. So I was wondering if they sell a unit that reads in degrees fahrenheit instead of degrees celsius (or if it's switchable). Otherwise I'd have to be getting out the calculator all of the time......
Old 05-24-2005, 07:11 PM

Uberdata is strickly for OBDI Hondas... Wish they offered different models, it's very simple to use, and you can do some VERY cool stuff.

I got Uberdata for free, thanks to a friend who does Honda tuning for a living. It's pretty cool having a 2-Step Launch program... I made it's activation code the AC Button (Seeming as I don't have AC, it works out well, haha) and basically what it does is add a second Rev Limited at any point that I desire. And I can floor it, and the RPM just tachs out at the primary point, when I release the clutch, it disengages. It's widely used at drag strips, but it's awfully handy in Auto Cross as well.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:14 PM
El Viejo

If you guys want to play around with these toys I suggest you go to ZtechZ forum and read and learn and ask questions from these guys. 99.9% of them are pretty sharp and can give help beyond your wildest dreams.

http://www.tangentrix.com/forums/ind...07d17a60216ed9

One of ZtechZ is all about programming the Z's ECU and more. Go here.

http://cherrypicker.tripod.com/id10.html
Old 05-27-2005, 11:35 PM

Thanks Zgringo,
A lot of that is way over my head, it gives me some background and how the units can be made and the ECU's tuned. But it does not (4 me - I might be a bit slow) show me how I can diagnose and maintain what I already have, and track down faults in my 300TT. but thanks anyway.

I've been doing some digging of my own.
There seam to be 3 similar cables around the <a href="http://www.plmsdevelopments.com/consult_if.htm"> PLMS</a>, the <a href="http://www.dta-motorsport.co.uk/conzult/index.htm"> ConZult</a> and the <a href="http://www.4-your.com/nissan/interface_cable.html"> BlaZT</a>.

Both the PLMS and the ConZult cables have a box partway along the cable where I presume the techno stuff is located and converts the ECU info into the language that required for the laptop and software. Where as the <a href="http://www.4-your.com/nissan/interface_cable.html"> BlaZT cable</a> has all that built into the plug that you insert into your computer. I think that will be better as there is not anywhere as many joints to be damaged as the cable is moved around.
While I was digging I found that these cables and software can be used on many Nissan cars, from my 300TT and of coarse the N/A to the Pulsar and the great Skyline. I think they have tested over 20 different nissan models.

Thanks for your help and when I get my <a href="http://www.4-your.com/nissan/interface_cable.html"> BlaZT cable</a> up and running I'll let you know.

Canyon Carver:
Thanks for the explanation, When I get my cable and software I'll see if it is switchable.

Have a great weekend.

Last edited by chas300tt; 06-01-2005 at 10:08 PM. Reason: To give more links
Old 05-28-2005, 05:22 AM
Jack Of All Trades

If you buy it definitely keep us up to date. That is something I'm interested in. Did you see if it'll work with the sr20det? I have one of those too and I might HAVE to get this when I go to fire it up. I'm just now getting started into the wiring phase of the sr project.
Old 05-28-2005, 08:17 PM

Hi Canyon Carver, good news yes the cable and software can be used on the sr20det engine as used in the Primera (n10) Silvia and Sunny, Turbo or non turbo.

I'll get back to you when I know more and have used them both.
Old 05-29-2005, 12:30 PM
Aqua Teen Hunger Force Fan

What about the nprobe? http://www.300degree.com/electronics/nprobe/
Heard nothing but good things. It's also compatible with other Nissan engines including the sr20det.

Last edited by ZXDude90; 05-29-2005 at 12:32 PM.
Old 05-29-2005, 08:01 PM

Afternoon All,
Thanks for pointing that one out ZXDude90.
I've had a good look at it, looks nice and tidy, but as I don't have a spare US$500-00 I'm going to probaby get the<a href="http://www.4-your.com/nissan/interface_cable.html" target="_blank">
<b> BlaZt Cable & software </font></b></a> for my toy. Along with that it looks like I would have to buy another cable to go from the interface unit the laptop .

The BlaZT cable complete with software seams to be only US$99-00 + postage and I can't see the postage being that much at all.
<br>
Old 05-30-2005, 10:39 AM
Jack Of All Trades

The BlaZT cable complete with software seams to be only US$99-00 + postage and I can't see the postage being that much at all.
<br>
lol, from au to nz. how far is that? When you get it and try it out, let us know. If all is well I'll order one up myself.
Old 05-30-2005, 10:51 AM
caught the z fever

Originally Posted by CanyonCarver
lol, from au to nz. how far is that? When you get it and try it out, let us know. If all is well I'll order one up myself.
haha, from AU to CA. how far is that??
Old 05-30-2005, 11:19 AM
Jack Of All Trades

I missed..............
Old 05-30-2005, 11:29 AM
Jack Of All Trades

7490 miles from sydney to lax.

http://www.webflyer.com/travel/milemarker/

Jason at Blazt told me $15 shipping.

Last edited by CanyonCarver; 05-31-2005 at 11:49 AM.
Old 05-31-2005, 07:06 AM
Russian Pimp

so did any of you guys actually get it?
Old 05-31-2005, 07:12 AM

Yeah I've ordered the cable and software and if it arrives by Thursday
I should have a chance to plug and test.
I'll let you know how it goes then.
Old 05-31-2005, 05:51 PM
Russian Pimp

I am saving up money to get it bc my car has been running funky and i think 114$ is nothing to figure out exaclty whats wrong with it, plus its pretty cool.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:12 PM

Hi guy's,
For all of you who are interested I've got and played with the BlaZt cable and software.

One thing, When I ordered, Jason from BlaZT.Biz asked what my laptop was and what connections I had, lucky he asked, as mine's fairly new and does not have a serial port so I needed the adaptor to connect to the USB plug.

I also found he lives only 30mins away so I collected what I needed, a knowledgeable guy and very helpful.

What I got was the cable and adaptor, I needed to d'load the software from the link he gave me.

The first thing I noticed was the way the wires that are attached to the plug (that fits to the car) are insulated but not completly covered mmmm well I checked on the other websites and each of them The PLMS and ConZult have the same problem, the great thing with this cable is that it does not have a weighty box
in the middle of the cable.

First thing was load up the software, that was easy, just like any other software, and as I am using the USB adaptor I also needed to load the driver for that.

Then out to the car, well I thought I'd have to go searching for the socket but no that was easy it's mounted just behind the bonnet pull leaver. Plug in the cable to the car and the computer and off I go - not quite - I needed to change the port (under settings) on the Datascan software to suit, as I'm using the USB plug.

The first screen shows the various functions available, the serial # of my ECU, and a connect button and a bar graph showing it connecting to the car, all's going well I'm happy.

Like probably all of you the first button I push is the Self Diagnosis button, well it came up with 55, the all well code again I'm happy.

Then the data display screen, I have 12 dials on the screen now - as the engine is off - I've only got the voltage reading but that tells me it's working.

Now I start the engine, all guages burst into life, showing the RPM, Timing etc, I just let the engine warm up watching the various changes - the temp coming up the timing going backwards and the RPM dropping.

I can see I'm going to get some use out of this, I can turn each cylinder off, I wish I had that earlier on, as shortly after I got my first 300TT there was a fault in the low tension leads to the coils. Mechanics told me everything, from stuffed valves to a hole in a piston or just a faulty coil. I could pay them to find the problem or find it myself. I did find it myself, it was bad electrical connection on one of the coils.

With this cable and software I would have been able to Isolate which Cylinder was causing me the problem - even that would have saved a lot of time.

I could go on but I think I'll go and do some more learning for now.

Would you like to see some photos?
Old 06-02-2005, 06:00 AM
Jack Of All Trades

.....Would you like to see some photos?
Of course.........

So the service was good? thas #1 to me, after the product working of course. My laptops have 9-pin and usb adapters. I was even kinda thinking a wireless adapter set-up. then I could just leave it plugged in all the time. When working in the garage, I leave the computer on the work bench.......
Old 06-02-2005, 03:22 PM

Some photos here guy's
1st - the size of the plugs in my hands
( the electronics is in the plug in my left hand)
2nd - the socket placement in the car
3rd - the cable plugged in
4th - the first page of Data scan
(I messed up the page shot it's black and white but thats all you need)
I'll get some more as I use it.

Jason was really easy to deal with, I think he will be very useful.

Canyon Carver
My laptop has a 9 pin socket but it is male, the std cable needs it to be female.
so I'm using the USB adaptor.
All photos except the screen shot are in colour
Attached Thumbnails Which is the best consult 1 replacement????-cable-hands_s.jpg   Which is the best consult 1 replacement????-car_socket_s.jpg   Which is the best consult 1 replacement????-pluged_in_cable_s.jpg   Which is the best consult 1 replacement????-datascan-screenshot_s.jpg  

Last edited by chas300tt; 06-02-2005 at 03:26 PM.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:56 PM
caught the z fever

hmm its starting to sound interesting
it says it aids in performace upgrades too...is it like what an safc would do?
ill add it to my "after i get a job in college: to do list"

EDIT: I can change display colors. it is now definately next on my to do list

Last edited by b300z; 06-02-2005 at 06:59 PM.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by b300z

Pardon my ignorance here but what is an SAFC ? Sorry

Further more I've done some more photos but they're much the same as the BlaZt website so I had a thought ..........mmmm now what.
Why don't I make an mpeg or similar, but how? I can't drove and make the movie at the same time.
It's Friday here and my mates are at work (I do shift work) and tomorrow I'm working when they're off (lucky for them, they've also got a long weekend).

Tooo much rambling...
I found Jason to be really helpful the other day so I asked if he would be interested in helping me make a short movie of the software doing it's thing with the help of his cable. His answer was yes but I needed to be there ASAP as he had other work to do, well about an hour later we were in car with laptop and Jason ready to go.

A couple of things to organise, getting it so the screen is clear (as little reflection as poss) and the zoom set to suit. Couldn't get the whole screen in effectively and then you would not see the functions of the dials so a bit closer we got and scanned the screen as we drove down the road showing the different functions.
A couple of videos later and we've finished. I've put one on a web site for you to view. Now it's just over 6MB and is 40 seconds long so all I've done is put a link to it rather than uploading it to this site.

<a href ="http://www.4-your.com/nissan/BlaZt_movie.avi">Click here for the BlaZt/Datascan movie</A> right click and then 'save target as...'

I may start a web page to show these photo's and video. Who would be interested??
Old 06-03-2005, 06:02 AM
Jack Of All Trades

Originally Posted by b300z

The blazt itself won't improve performance. But it looks like a helluva tool for monitoring performance. you can save your datascans and after you do an upgrade, compare the old to the new to see the impact of the changes. you'd be able to see if you're running lean or rich, if you're timing is o.k. and many other things.

Quick Reply: Which is the best consult 1 replacement????