300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

boost

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 09:27 PM

boost

hi again, still can't figure out my boosting problem.
if my turbos are bad will they still make boost ? i'm going crazy trying to figure this problem out. so any info would really help me. the car still builts boost normally around 10 p.s.i have seen it up to 12 already, but what happens is like the waste gates open and it stops revving, usally around 4 to 5 thousand rpms, if i run car up slow not building boost it will run up to 6500 just fine. the car does smoke out both sides when cold ( pretty bad ) but stops after a short ride, haven't noticed oil consumpstion, cause have'nt had car that long. ran a ecu check gave me a 55 code so everything checks out. mods are just installed jwt ecu with boost jets ( car had this problem before installing ) stillen side mount innercoolers, high flow intake, megan exhaust, brand new ngk plugs, brand new o2 sencers, short throw shifter, full body kit, adr 18' rims thanks corey
Old 08-09-2005, 08:34 AM

What color is the smoke when it's cold? How loud are the turbos when they spool up; i.e, how bad do they whine?

Yes, it will still make boost if the turbos are shot. Mine are a perfect example. I've never seen turbos as bad as mine and I could still hit 8-10psi regularly. I can't wait for my new turbos. The only way you will know for sure will be to inspect them. You could try removing all of the piping leading to the turbo inlet (Follow the black accordian hose). Once you've removed the black accordian hose, you can look down inside the black metal inlet pipe. It may require a mirror to see the turbine. If these are fine, you're not out of the woods because there's still the exhaust side turbine; which can only be seen by removing the tranny and downpipes. Good luck.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:19 PM

boost

car smokes blue when cold. kinda bad, also smokes alittle when hot to, but not near as bad when cold. turbos whistle kinda loud when spooling up but they don't sound over loud to me, but this is only my second turbo car, first one was a 84 300 single turbo. is it possibale to remove turbos with motor in car ? thanks for info corey
Old 08-10-2005, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by cblevons
car smokes blue when cold. kinda bad, also smokes alittle when hot to, but not near as bad when cold. turbos whistle kinda loud when spooling up but they don't sound over loud to me, but this is only my second turbo car, first one was a 84 300 single turbo. is it possibale to remove turbos with motor in car ? thanks for info corey
Blue smoke...sounds like your burning oil. a sign your turbine(s) may be going bad. Is it possible to remove the turbines with the engine in the car Yes--recommended no. Its is soo much easier to work on the turbine with the engine out IMO.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by 91zxtt
What color is the smoke when it's cold? How loud are the turbos when they spool up; i.e, how bad do they whine?

Yes, it will still make boost if the turbos are shot. Mine are a perfect example. I've never seen turbos as bad as mine and I could still hit 8-10psi regularly. I can't wait for my new turbos. The only way you will know for sure will be to inspect them. You could try removing all of the piping leading to the turbo inlet (Follow the black accordian hose). Once you've removed the black accordian hose, you can look down inside the black metal inlet pipe. It may require a mirror to see the turbine. If these are fine, you're not out of the woods because there's still the exhaust side turbine; which can only be seen by removing the tranny and downpipes. Good luck.
91zxtt is right, but by only inspecting the compressor side propeller fins you arent able to say for sure if your turbines are good or bad unless like in 91zxtt's case something got in to the intake tract and the compressor blades were damaged. now if the blades are damaged yes the turbine is bad...but not the housing just the center assembly. Now if your turbine(s) have shaft play from wear and tear as many ageing Z's do...burning oil is a tell tale sign in my experience.
Something to think about.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:47 PM
Jack Of All Trades

Originally Posted by Mousier158
91zxtt is right, but by only inspecting the compressor side propeller fins ............
They're impeller fins
Old 08-10-2005, 07:40 PM

talked to jwt today, explained all my probs.he said it sounds like a boost leak, and whats happing is the car gets up to 8 to 10 psi and that is the amount of pressure it is taking to leak, and the car falls on its face cause the ecu is dumping so my much fuel in as its building boost and then it leaks boost so he said to check all hoses make sure everything is tight and in good shape. he said it really did'nt sound like a turbo prob.what do you guys think ?? i got the z back on stands again and i'm checking everything out i'll get back on here tommorow to let you know what i found corey 93 turboz
Old 08-11-2005, 06:21 PM

Boost????

still have'nt got under the z yet maybe today

Last edited by cblevons; 08-12-2005 at 07:18 AM.
Old 08-13-2005, 04:47 PM

I don't agree with what he said about the reason the car falls flat is because it's dumping so much fuel. The FPR is controlled by boost/vacuum. The fuel pressure raises 1 psi per lb of boost. If you're at 8PSI of boost, then you FPR will trigger 8psi higher fuel pressure than stock. If you're bleeding off boost, then the FPR would back off the amount of fuel being distributed.

That would be a massive boost leak. Check the pressure side turbo feed lines and throttle body pipes. 1 small hose would not cause this. It would have to be a big hose.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:41 PM

boost

Hi just finished going through all my boost hoses and etc, ben @ jwt was right, when i got to driverside on turbo, hose coming out to inner cooler ( i belive in to cooler ? ) when i was tighting up the clamp i just squeezed the hose shut, so the clamp was poistioned to low on hose and the pipe pulled write out of the hose. so i loosned up clamp pushed down on steel pipe into the hose and retightened. took car out for a spin and ran really great 12.5 to 13 pounds of boost 7000 rpms all smiles here. getting @ those clamps on driverside sucked, my hand is all cut up, went under brake cylinder to get @ those clamps on driverside could'nt see any other way, but it was all worth it, i belive thats why the guy sold this car his lose my gain. my z1 hard pipe came today so i put that on to, looks nice
thanks corey
Old 08-18-2005, 08:47 PM

Yep, a massive boost leak. I'm surprised you didn't hear it.