300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Boosting and Noises and Idles, OH MY

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 09:09 AM

Boosting and Noises and Idles, OH MY

Hey Everyone,
I have a JWT ECU Upgrade and Im loving the 13.5 psi of boost BUT... I have some annoying problems that I'm willing to bet (and hoping) are stemming from a related problem. When I pin it from a light I sometimes get a cloud of black smoke, not to mention no speed till the turbo spools up. Also, I have a little bit of white smoke at an idle. It smells nothing like antifreeze, just water condensation. Someone told me i might be running rich. Well how do i test/fix that? its ecu controlled. then, when i hit the throttle and boost full to 13.5 all i get is a burbling gurgle and hesitation. it boosts great up until 13.5, but when i hit my boost limit, shouldnt it just stay boosting there? as it is i have to ease off the gas to maintain a steady boost. finally, when i stop at a light, my idle drops to 450-500 rpm, before settling at a not-so-smooth 650-700 rpm. again, am i running rich, could it be timing?
here's a couple things: the motor was rebuilt 10000 miles ago with new stock turbos, I have aftermarket blow off valves (if they were set unequally, could that mess up pressure equalization in the intake.. they shouldnt, cuz of the balance tubes at the back of the plennum right?) anyways, I live in a city with no dealership and thus no mechanics that i really trust to know what they are doing with my Fairlady. Has anyone had a similar problem?
Thanks a million in advance guys!
Old 06-19-2006, 09:54 AM
The Cake Is A Lie!

Originally Posted by codywillett
anyways, I live in a city with no dealership and thus no mechanics that i really trust to know what they are doing with my Fairlady.
trust me, a stealership would have no better idea how to fix it these days than anyone else. and they'll charge you more. try and find a Z specialty shop, even if you have to drive a bit to get there, it will be worth it.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:09 AM
NisTuner

I would definitely say check your timing.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:53 PM

checked codes

I checked the codes and im getting an all clear. I set my blowoff valves down softer, and i noticed that I can now boost to 15psi. While this is cool, I worry about detonation (when the motor was redone, some brainaic decided to mess with the knock sensor, and I dont trust it). Anyways, If I pin it, I still gett the burbling gurgle and hesitation. If I let it spool up nicely, I get nice strong boost. Any ideas?
Old 06-20-2006, 10:26 PM
Bad Speller

Originally Posted by codywillett
I checked the codes and im getting an all clear. I set my blowoff valves down softer, and i noticed that I can now boost to 15psi. While this is cool, I worry about detonation (when the motor was redone, some brainaic decided to mess with the knock sensor, and I dont trust it). Anyways, If I pin it, I still gett the burbling gurgle and hesitation. If I let it spool up nicely, I get nice strong boost. Any ideas?
TPS.check it , thi9s happene dto my friend (8 Kouki S14) he would have to work his way in the throttel in order for the car to boost correctly. if he just pineed it the car would fal on his face.