300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Burning Oil???

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2002, 05:54 PM

Re: Burning Oil???

Were you able to verify where the smoking originated? What color was the smoke? If the smoke came from your exhaust and the color of the smoke had a bluish tint then yes you were burning oil. A white smoke color indicates water/coolant.

Just because your car only has 87k or so miles doesn't necessarily mean the engine is still in mint condition. My brothers 92 non-turbo MR2 with the 2.2L 5SFE will spit out blue smoke from the mufflers occasionally and he only has 93k miles. Although, he does meet redline pretty often because we autocross as well.

Earlier I asked what color and where the smoke originated because I don't think your burning oil just yet. Smoke trailing your car doesn't neccessarily mean your burning oil (unless it's blue) or you have a blown head gasket.

You stated that when you entered a right hand corner you applied throttle upon exiting the turn. Do you have any suspension or limitied slip upgrades on your NA Z32? If not then that is the explanation for the mysterious smoke. Weight transfer becomes an issue in this situation if you are not sure where exactly the smoke came from. During your right hand manuever the weight of the Z transferred over to the drivers side wheels and forward to the front wheels (due to braking) causing the passenger side rear to slightly lift.

O.K., so you hit your apex and are now punching the throttle to exit at a higher speed. Unforunately, the drivetrain was able to apply the throttle inputs of your foot before the rear tires were evenly balanced causing the inside rear tire to spin which in turn emitts the horrible tire wearing smoke.

In addition, tire fade becomes a huge factor since you ran 6-7 laps. Combine all that slipping, sliding, increasing tire pressures and sidewall flex and anyone will notice that street tires do not hold up well in the extreme conditions of autoX. Was it a practice day because normal events in San Diego allow only 3-4 laps on a race day? We normally receive about 6-7 during practice time permitting. Keep in mind that tires, like brakes, are effected by heat resulting in poor performance and loss of friction. When street tires are heated beyond normal running temprature the maximum available traction is decreased preventing any car from turning over consistent times and consistent high exit speeds. You may be a very consistent and well rounded driver but your driving style will have to change in order to accomodate tire fade.

This is my theory and I could be wrong but since there is no verification as to where the smoke originated and of the smokes color I will stick to this reasoning.

Hopefully it was only your tires. If I were you I'd ask anyone who witnessed your run some questions. Good luck and have fun through the twisties.

donkayroo@hotmail.com