300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

cheapest way for 3" turbo back exhaust.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 02:13 AM

cheapest way for 3" turbo back exhaust.

hey i was just wondering what everyone has come yp with exhaust? i have been searching around forever and found like 1700ish dollars for a nice turbo back exhaust system?

Yikes!

i wanbt the hks hi power cannisters though, but that exhaust is also very expensive so i was thiniking of getting my own made. am i just finding bad prices or what?
Old 10-10-2009, 08:58 AM
The Emblem Thief y0!

Originally Posted by luv_twins
hey i was just wondering what everyone has come yp with exhaust? i have been searching around forever and found like 1700ish dollars for a nice turbo back exhaust system?

Yikes!

i wanbt the hks hi power cannisters though, but that exhaust is also very expensive so i was thiniking of getting my own made. am i just finding bad prices or what?
come and take mine out of my garage.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:29 AM
The Good Twin

"cheap" and "300zx" don't go well together in the same sentence...

If you can't afford quality, just don't do it.
Old 10-10-2009, 01:28 PM

or maybe a beter question would be were did you get yours from? or how much lol?

i paid 1000 for turbo back on my R32 which i dont find that bad but the prices i have been getting lol... wow.
Old 10-10-2009, 05:00 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Specialty Z exhaust or bust.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:30 PM
This facepalm's for you!

Originally Posted by NismoPick
"cheap" and "300zx" don't go well together in the same sentence...
"cheap" and "Z32" never go in the same sentence

your cheapest over all option is fabbing it yourself, if you cant do that then your stuck paying what ever someone else wants to charge you.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:54 PM

This might work!

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...e=nysQuestions
Old 10-10-2009, 07:16 PM

$1700

Can I ask why you want 3" and a full turbo back exhaust? Are you running more than 600hp, already have dual intakes big turbo upgrades and upgraded intercoolers? Nevermind the upgraded ECU, injectors and probably already had a bunch of engine work done? If you already did that or had that done, why are you complaining about a lousy $1700?

Or are you just looking for 3 more HP?
Old 10-10-2009, 09:51 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Originally Posted by Goofyz
Can I ask why you want 3" and a full turbo back exhaust? Are you running more than 600hp, already have dual intakes big turbo upgrades and upgraded intercoolers? Nevermind the upgraded ECU, injectors and probably already had a bunch of engine work done? If you already did that or had that done, why are you complaining about a lousy $1700?

Or are you just looking for 3 more HP?
There are significant proven gains with a 3" exhaust over 2.5" on a TT at all horsepower levels.
Old 10-11-2009, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by ZLover4Life
There are significant proven gains with a 3" exhaust over 2.5" on a TT at all horsepower levels.
yeah i bought alot of stuff with my R32 through ztune, which is were i got my quote on the specialtyZ which he stands by 100%.

i thought 2.5" duals would be good but he told me 3" mkes a big difference.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:48 AM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Why would you pay a middle-man when you can get the Specialty Z exhaust directly through Specialty Z?

www.specialtyz.com
Old 10-12-2009, 12:20 PM

Either, or.

I try not to argue semantics but a stock 300zxtt with a 3.0 exhaust (aftermarket) vs. a stock 300zxtt with a2.5 inch exhaust will not yeild significant power increase. This is especially true if you factor in the cost difference. Sure you will probably get a few more peak HP but for $1700 there are many other things to do first that will yeild more bang for the buck. That is why at the end of my post I put in that word "or."

You can reply by showing me dyno charts of significant HP gains on stock 300zxtt. One bone stock, one with a 2.5" aftermarket and one with a 3.0"

If of course you don't post those charts, I can only assume they don't exist.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:41 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

In the future, learn how to do your own research... I'm not going to spoon feed you anymore when you don't believe me - I'm getting tired of arguing with you just because you haven't bothered to research the subject (at all, apparently).
http://www.twinturbo.net/net/viewmsg...&forum=general

Summary:
2.5" to 3" downpipes allowed a stock turboed car to obtain 3-4psi more boost (and, in combination with the exhaust, allowed 22rwhp more).
Single to dual pop + 2.5" to 3" netted 42rwhp gain.
2.5" to 3" exhaust on a Sport 700 car netted 67rwhp gain.
3" downpipes and testpipes to 2.5" catback resulted in a peak loss of 13rwhp compared to full 3" exhaust on Greg's car.

The people on this forum who matter know who to come to for the correct answers and they also know that I only post truths (notice the nickname under my screen name - I didn't pick that, that was assigned by the moderators).

The power increase is over the entire powerband, not just peak. (You sound like a Supra owner, speaking only of peak power and not an overall increase in performance.)

And if you want to talk economics of the purchase, then you haven't thought it through. The only exhaust worth considering at all anymore (whether 2.5" or 3") is Specialty Z. [No other exhaust performs to that level and allows the style customization they do.] Let's compare costs of equivalent SZ 2.5" and 3" systems for a moment:

3" dual round tip aluminized cat-back- $960
2.5" dual round tip aluminized cat-back w/resonators - $895

Oh my! $65! You could haggle that difference down on the 3" cat-back.

3" aluminized test pipes w/resonators - $510
2.5" aluminized test pipes - $330

3" Expansion downpipes (only available in stainless) - $675
2.5" split downpipes (stainless to keep things comparable) - $475

So to get a 3" resonated exhaust over a 2.5" resonated exhaust is a whopping $445 more [assuming no haggling]... less of a difference if you don't want the resonators, which aren't necessarily needed on turbo cars as turbochargers naturally quiet the exhaust. So a $445 difference nets you a fatter power curve and more top end power... tell me, aside from an intake, ECU (couldn't be JWT), and boost controller, what other modification costs $445 or less and has that result? I'll answer it for you, there are no other mods that cost $445 or less and net the same gains.

And what about down the road if he decides he wants larger turbos? The power increase of 3" over 2.5" at that level becomes even greater. And if he listened to you and bought a 2.5" exhaust and then realized he needed 3" to meet his power goals, what would he have to do? Sell the 2.5" at a loss and buy the exhaust all over again. The exhaust is one performance part where corners should not be cut and the buyer should think long-term.

You apparently neither know how to research nor think logically.

Last edited by ZLover4Life; 10-12-2009 at 01:11 PM.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:53 PM

Again

I'm inclined to think you don't actually read my posts, or at least past the first sentence, that, or reading comprehension is kinda low. Yes, I realize I broke a couple rules of grammar but I had to so you would read the first sentence.

This outlines my argument:

"OR"

all that stuff done to engine+ 3 inch is good.

OR

stock + 3 inch is waste of money.

Oh bye the way, not one of those dyno's was of a stock tt + 3inch or even a 2.5inch without at least a boost controller, or upgraded turbos or dual intakes... I'm sure you know why... cuase no one uses 3 inch on a stock TT.

Here's a simple proceedure; Read, then understand, then post.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by User395
lmfao.

yeah im sold on the 3" now haha, i just had to hear it from someone else, ill have to try and talk my rents into letting me use their credit card to get that, i dont have one

another thing i was looking at was the dual intakes with the MAF translator, my friend also owns a Z, big FMIC (i see no point in it for what he paid lol) has a greddy intake with 2 filters but 1 MAF, he told me i am wasting my money but buying 2 filters and still having 1 MAF is kinda pointless? am i missing something here? on the front mount VS bigger sidemount? and filters lol?
Old 10-13-2009, 01:05 AM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

I'm inclined to think you don't actually read my posts, or at least past the first sentence, that, or reading comprehension is kinda low. Yes, I realize I broke a couple rules of grammar but I had to so you would read the first sentence.

This outlines my argument:

"OR"

all that stuff done to engine+ 3 inch is good.

OR

stock + 3 inch is waste of money.

Oh bye the way, not one of those dyno's was of a stock tt + 3inch or even a 2.5inch without at least a boost controller, or upgraded turbos or dual intakes... I'm sure you know why... cuase no one uses 3 inch on a stock TT.

Here's a simple proceedure; Read, then understand, then post.

Are you ****ing retarded? I think you are. (Yep, I'm gonna take advantage of that oh-so-good-feeling first step of the pyramid.)

Do you know why people don't put a 3" exhaust on a stock TT? Because of the order of modifications. Your argument is like "why doesn't anybody put a boost controller on a stock TT?" or "why doesn't anybody put TD06-20G's on a stock TT?" They don't do it because there's an order of modifications... and full turbo-back exhaust isn't first (first is intake, then cat-back, then ECU, THEN the rest). Now quit pretending to know anything. There was a dyno in there of a car with STOCK TURBOS, STOCK internals, and BOLT-ON's (like ANY other car doing a full turbo-back) that netted considerable gains with a 3" exhaust. Your argument is not only illogical (doing a full turbo back as a first mod? Are you new to Z32's???), but disproven. There are worthwhile gains with a 3" exhaust.

I also note you didn't have a single refutation to the cost or long-term planning comments. It's typical for someone who realizes they're wrong to downplay the points on which they realize they're wrong. You don't want to admit defeat, so you just don't address it. Do yourself a favor and just stop posting, especially after I enter a thread a point out when you're wrong. It only makes you look worse when you argue a position that has been proven untrue.

luv twins - you have a PM coming concerning the rest of your questions. Don't bother listening to Goofyz - he likes to run his mouth despite a lack of knowledge and, as I'm sure you've figured out, his advice isn't going to be in your best interests. I, on the other hand, have built two 500+hp Z32's for myself and am well aware of what modifications are worthwhile and which aren't.

Last edited by ZLover4Life; 10-13-2009 at 01:18 AM.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:31 AM
Tough Guy

I guess he got the point..
Old 10-13-2009, 12:57 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Originally Posted by domsgarage
I guess he got the point..
It's more likely he just hasn't seen my response yet. Knowing him, he's going to come back with some poorly formulated bullshit argument, regardless of everyone (except himself, apparently) knowing he's wrong. It's not the first time he's done this.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:17 PM
Über User

20G's huh.... thems be DSM turbos
Old 10-13-2009, 03:31 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

... and they've been installed on a few Z32's back in the day before big BB turbo kits became available.

Eric, will you be available at all this Saturday? Gonna be trying to start the S30 and would like your experience in case something isn't working appropriately.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:33 PM

At least we can agree on the last sentence.

Not everyone on this forum is god and knows everythign about the Z like you.

So they ask questions.

His questions was basically is a 3" exhaust worth the $1700.

My response was not if that is the only thing you are doing to the car.

Your response was always get the 3" exhaust

You assume everyone already knows to get intake first, then cat back then boost controller, etc,etc. Mainly cause you are god and you already know everything. Obviously everyone knows to use the stage chart like you would.

If luv_twins said something like, "Hey, I'm at stage two and was wondering if a 3" exhaust is worth it or not then god would be absolutely right (you are god in this scenerio). Instead he posted that $1700 is the cheapest exhaust he could find and nothing else about his car.

If you read my first post you will see that I actually agree with getting the bigger exhaust unless it's stock then it's pointless. If you read your response you actaully call me an idiot and then state that the 3" exhaust is always better because you assume he is going to build a 500+ hp car.

I was attacking your logic.
Why would luv_twins ask the question if he already knew the answser? Wouldn't someone who already knows the answer be following the stage charts?

If you don't know something, you ask a question. Isn't it fair to assume that if they don't know something like 3" exhaust are better at stage 2 (Stillen's TT Chart) than a 2.5 exhaust then maybe they aren't following the stage charts?

Now, if we want to be fair you actually started with the ad hominem attack with the last line on your response to me asking for actual data, "You apparently neither know how to research nor think logically." L Let's face it, often your posts attack grammar/spelling and tone. You tend to dwell at the bottom of that pyramid quite often. Even though you won't hesistate to put yourself at the top, were god should be, of course.

In closing if you could see past the clouds from that high horse you sit on that we were arguing the same thing but from different points of view, you assumed luv_twins knew everything except what he was asking and I assumed he did not.

To recap, we both think 3" exhaust are better on a modded car, we both think putting a 3" exhaust on a stock tt would be a bad first step and we both think the other one is an idiot.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:28 PM
F5 Hero

Just to point something out, I have never once seen Zlover hit on grammar and/or tone, because I have never seen him make a post like this.....

Not everyone on this forum is god and knows everythign about the Z like you.
God should be capitalized. You misspelled "everything".
So they ask questions.
Should be a comma after "So".
His questions was basically is a 3" exhaust worth the $1700.
Should be commas around "basically".
My response was not if that is the only thing you are doing to the car.
Should be quotation marks around you quoting yourself.
Your response was always get the 3" exhaust
Once again, quotation marks.
You assume everyone already knows to get intake first, then cat back then boost controller, etc,etc. Mainly cause you are god and you already know everything. Obviously everyone knows to use the stage chart like you would.
Should be a comma after cat back. Cause should be because. Should be a comma after "obviously".
If luv_twins said something like, "Hey, I'm at stage two and was wondering if a 3" exhaust is worth it or not then god would be absolutely right (you are god in this scenerio). Instead he posted that $1700 is the cheapest exhaust he could find and nothing else about his car.
Should read "had said". God should be capitalized. Also, you never ended your quotation marks when you quoted luv_twins. Should be a comma after "instead".
If you read my first post you will see that I actually agree with getting the bigger exhaust unless it's stock then it's pointless. If you read your response you actaully call me an idiot and then state that the 3" exhaust is always better because you assume he is going to build a 500+ hp car.
Misspelled actually. Should be a comma after unless.
I was attacking your logic.
Was is past tense, and attacking is present. Should read, "I attacked your logic."
Why would luv_twins ask the question if he already knew the answser? Wouldn't someone who already knows the answer be following the stage charts?
Misspelled answer. Should say "would" not "wouldn't".
If you don't know something, you ask a question. Isn't it fair to assume that if they don't know something like 3" exhaust are better at stage 2 (Stillen's TT Chart) than a 2.5 exhaust then maybe they aren't following the stage charts?
Should read "is it fair" not "isn't it fair"..... Seriously, lets remove the contraction and read this aloud..... "Is not it fair to assume" vs "Is it fair to assume".... Seriously.....
Now, if we want to be fair you actually started with the ad hominem attack with the last line on your response to me asking for actual data, "You apparently neither know how to research nor think logically." L Let's face it, often your posts attack grammar/spelling and tone. You tend to dwell at the bottom of that pyramid quite often. Even though you won't hesistate to put yourself at the top, were god should be, of course.
"hominem" isn't a word. I can only assume you meant "homonym". Misspelled hesitate. Once again, capitalization errors....
In closing if you could see past the clouds from that high horse you sit on that we were arguing the same thing but from different points of view, you assumed luv_twins knew everything except what he was asking and I assumed he did not.
Going to shorten these up, mainly because I'm getting tired. Several grammatical and punctuation errors.
To recap, we both think 3" exhaust are better on a modded car, we both think putting a 3" exhaust on a stock tt would be a bad first step and we both think the other one is an idiot.
Not even going to hit on this... Seriously, read it aloud.....

Sorry, I couldn't resist....
Old 10-13-2009, 10:37 PM
The Good Twin

0h hai! I'm in 7th grade. I have to put everyone down so I can feel cool...

What was the topic of this thread? Oh yeah... 3" TT exhaust. It's been covered. Now STFU already. Sheesh!

PS... I love you all... kinda... a lil bit...

But still: STFU.

Last edited by NismoPick; 10-13-2009 at 10:39 PM.