300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Dropping in the new motor / Prep

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 09:12 PM
Tough Guy

Dropping in the new motor / Prep

Im going to do the EGR delete. My main reason is because I can get to that tricky tricky top trans bolt easier with the EGR out, but what else would be recommended. With the exception of the timing belt.

My other question is pretty simple. I pulled the motor with the trans still connected (kinda), should I put it back in the same way or should i put the motor in and then try to connect the trans?

I noticed that it couldnt get the motor back onto the mounts when I was pulling it with the trans connected, Id obviously like to avoid that as much as possible. So hit me some suggestions.

Im getting the motor friday, ill spend all weekend on it, the hardest part seems like its going to be getting the motor onto the mounts and the trans reconnected.

But shoot me some suggestions. Thanks!
Old 04-11-2010, 09:22 PM
Pr0n Addict

i'm sure you're aware of all the maintenance you could do (clutch, front and rear main seals, PCV's, thermostat, ext. ext.), but aside from that, a throttle body coolant line bypass is really all i can think of. that's really a good thing if you expect to pull the plenum any, which you should. somehow, i've managed to find causes to pull my plenum for 5 times now since i've had the car 2 years and 25k miles. motor mounts will also be a good thing to do at this point.
oh, and def put your headers on.

as for the install, i can't really help you, as i've never lifted my engine out while it was together... i took it out piece by piece as i found more stuff wrong lol. but i can tell you that stabbing the transmission is no walk in the park, so if you think you can get it back in the way you got it out just as easily, i'd say go for that. the general consensus on the z boards though seems to be to stab the transmission with the engine installed.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:28 PM
Tough Guy

The clutch is already new, like 1000 miles on it so thats just going onto the new motor, t stat im just including in the whole timing belt process, seals im going to do, pcvs as well.

Im definitely putting the headers on this new one, the motor mounts i was thinking about doing but they honestly look fine so im going to leave them alone.

Like you said, most people say to put it in with the engine installed. As im sure you saw, it was a real hassle to get it out but I couldnt get the motor back onto the mounts with it all connected, i dont want to run into that trouble again if I can avoid it.

Im going to look into the to the throttle body coolant bypass.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:58 PM
Pr0n Addict

it's quite easy. just take all the hoses off the bottom of the plenum, look where they went, and just run quick short hoses to complete the circuits instead of taking that long route down the plenum. now that i've done it, i feel stupid for thinking i needed a write up the first time.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:00 PM
Tough Guy

true. sounds pretty straight forward.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:19 PM
Pr0n Addict

btw, it does require a bit of hose, and 3 different sizes of it, so i'd recommend to take a good look under the plenum and take quick measurements. if i remember correctly, you need 2, 4, and 6, mm hoses.