300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Greg Dupree/Specialty Z exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 05:46 PM
Dan's the Man

Greg Dupree/Specialty Z exhaust

Hey guys, I'd love your feedback.

Greg is prepared to put together an exhaust for my 2+2. Everything back from the headers (high flow cats included). Headers I will be getting from AMZ. My only hesitation is the loudness of the system. Greg says it will be a nice sound but very loud.
I want the deep sound but don't want "very" loud. He doesn't have sound dampners.
My question...can I reduce the volume level by putting resonators back in? If so, am I compromising much in performance gains?
I almost feel like I would not be doing justice to his work of art system not to mention wasting money.
Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:12 AM
Administrative Brown Guy

Sounds like a great plan and the system should be sweet. If Specialty Z doesn't have sound dampners, i'm pretty sure others would. Call around and see if you can locate some. Most ppl more often than not like louder exhausts that's probably why they don't carry the dampners. Good luck in your search.
Old 08-18-2004, 06:05 PM

I was just on the Specialty Z site, and it looks like they sell resonators. That'll help quiet the exhaust down a little bit.
Old 08-18-2004, 06:40 PM
Dan's the Man

Thanks for the replies guys!
Old 08-24-2004, 02:35 PM

tried them on my z32 2+2 - too LOUD

I did try the mufflers on my 2+2 and as Greg says they are loud. Too loud. Had to send them back. Had a nasty resonance around 2500 that made it impossible to keep. Talk him into building the "quieter system" that he and I talked about. Looks like he will have two instant sales!
Old 08-24-2004, 03:28 PM
Dan's the Man

Originally Posted by eleven@techsolv
I did try the mufflers on my 2+2 and as Greg says they are loud. Too loud. Had to send them back. Had a nasty resonance around 2500 that made it impossible to keep. Talk him into building the "quieter system" that he and I talked about. Looks like he will have two instant sales!
eleven@techsolv,
Is he readily able to built on request or is this something he need sto consider if he gets enough requests? Do you order it?
While I'm at it. Did he mention what he would build it with? I.e. is it pretty much the same as the "loud" system but with resonators or does he go a step further an use H pipe instead of X pipe. Just wondering how much of his performance gain is lost by quieting it down.
I guess I could call Greg myself but though he may have shared this with you already.

Thanks
Old 08-24-2004, 05:36 PM

Like any businessman, his motivation is tied to his ability to make money, which in turn is tied to the number of requests he gets. His current jigs are made for the Sebring mufflers and putting different, quieter mufflers would require reworking the jigs.

I only installed the mufflers since on the 96NA Nissan seems to have REVERSED the output plate on the CAT! :-( I didn't have the stamina to replace the CATs too this time around which is what I would have to do to try the H-pipes. Anyone care to comment? Greg's opinion is that the H-pipes would not have significantly reduced the racket.

He seems to be of the, how shall we say, quieter group, so I think that we could have an advocate should we ever get him motivated with "numbers." One-offs don't motivate him, unless he can be guarenteed they don't come back, one of the primary reasons I went there!