300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

How much would it cost to fix this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 11:51 PM

How much would it cost to fix this?

Hi, i'm new to these forums but I was wondering..

I'm looking into buying a 96 300zx TT, but it has some mechanical problems and I was wondering how much it would cost to fix..since I don't know much about cars myself. This is the posting on CL:

I have a 1996 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo 5 Speed Manual.. Black on Black with 18" Staggered Wheels.
its the fully loaded model with t-tops... everything works ac and heater lights and all that...

NOW the reason why its so cheap. the engine still runs and can be driven but it has Low Compression on Cylinder #6... im thinking its the piston rings are out or maybe a broken valve but either way the car still runs just runs like crap.... it doesnt overheat or anything it just smokes a lil bit from the exhaust. its burning oil... you could either repair this motor if you have the knowledge of how or know someone who can for cheap... or my best option would be getting a USED JDM Engine online. i found one for $800 plus 200 for shipping. but i just dont want to deal with still having to put it in so that is why im selling it...

everything else on the car is still good like the turbos, manifold and well pretty much everything else. its an awesome looking car and turns lots of heads and if you know 300ZX these cars are super rare and still go for about $8,000 dont believe me look on Kelley Blue Book....

they're selling the car for $2,400, so it seems like a good deal.. How much would it cost to replace the piston rings/broken valve? I have a friend who owns a 300zx and works on his car a lot so I might ask him for help on fixing it, or I might take it to an actual mechanic. How much would it be to buy the parts needed to fix the motor myself, and how much would it cost to fix it at a shop? An approximation would be nice, and do you guys think this would be a good deal? Thanks for your time.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:49 AM
Ruff Ryder

If the car is decent then $2400 aint bad, I highly doubt that the "mechanic" who did the initial compression test actually did it, saw smoke, assumed the rings are ****ed. I would bet all you need to do is replace the turbo's.

As for having a shop rebuild the motor and do everything, they would probably charge you about $7k and it wouldn't last more then a year.

The problem is, that we don't know whats going on so we can't speculate as easily.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:38 AM

Do compreission test and see where you at.
It's a good deal and you can fix it your self if you do your homework and the right tools.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:26 PM

Thanks for the input guys, it's really helpful. Besides doing a compression test, replace the turbos, etc, would it be more economical to just buy a new/semi used engine, and swap them? I was recommended to just buy one for $1,200-$1,800, switch the motors, and have a low mile engine..does that sound like a good idea? Lets say that the rings were actually busted, and I had the option to repair the rings or a new engine.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:35 PM
Ruff Ryder

Originally Posted by ohhai18
Thanks for the input guys, it's really helpful. Besides doing a compression test, replace the turbos, etc, would it be more economical to just buy a new/semi used engine, and swap them? I was recommended to just buy one for $1,200-$1,800, switch the motors, and have a low mile engine..does that sound like a good idea? Lets say that the rings were actually busted, and I had the option to repair the rings or a new engine.
Do a compression test first and get back to us. And be sure the "mechanic" writes down the pressures. Also those low mileage jdm motors are hit and miss, imagine buying a used rental car. Some where beat to ****, some weren't.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:18 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Just so you know, you cannot just buy a JDM motor and drop it into the car... you have to do a FULL timing kit, replace the oil pump, etc etc etc. In the end, it may be cheaper to fix the problem with your current issue, if it's only one cylinder, and it comes with the peace of mind of knowing the history of your motor (as hoov said, you don't know what you're getting with a JDM motor, especially given that their laws lend little incentive for people to take car of their motors).
Old 04-26-2011, 09:17 PM

pm'd you