300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

i'm a retard - radio installation 1990 2+2

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 03:25 PM

i'm a retard - radio installation 1990 2+2

i have a 1990 2+2...

like the retard that i am, i took out the stock radio that was originally in the car to install a new deck that i just bought without obtaining the essential technical information about the bose sound system that comes in the 1990 z's. its a known fact that the 1990 z32's have that bose sound system crap with the center speaker right under the deck area.

i pulled out the original deck (that busted soon after i bought the car) and the center speaker, i put in the new deck, but i got no sound out of any of the speakers. i know the speakers worked because the orginal deck worked for a little bit before i pulled the deck and the center bose speaker out.

i get power to the new deck and everything but no sound.

i was told by a couple of people that i had to rewire the speakers from the new deck or some crap like that. then i've been also told that the original deck might've had an internal amp or that the bose speaker acted like an internal amp...obviously i'm don't know much of the radio layout for the z - especially with the bose set up. i wanted to run it by you guys at this forum rather than just believe some greasy faced kid at best buy.

can anybody throw me a bone here? is this all true?

and the other stupid thing that i did was throw away the original deck and the center speaker before i learned all this. i know...that was a bonehead move on my part.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:34 AM
F5 Hero

You need an adapter harness that goes into the stock bose system that you wire up to your aftermarket CD player.

Not sure if these are the right ones, my car already had them in there, it's a combination of two or three of them i think.

http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchan...y_Code=AUDIO-H
Old 11-19-2005, 02:19 PM
Administrative Brown Guy

Actually, i can help here. No special unknown adapters needed.

First a little information on the stock Bose system. The Head Unit in the stock system is basically a tape deck tuner preamp. Preamp meaning it has no amplification of it's own built in. All the amplification is built into each speaker housing to run it's own individual speaker. The Bose system on it's own isn't too bad imo, just a pair of tweeters for the fronts is all i'd recommend if you want better sound.

Now if you're replacing the HU with an aftermarket one, here's what you do to avoid buying expensive adapters and to avoid blowing stuff up. First things first, you'll need a few things when you begin. Take a trip down to Wal-Mart and buy a Nissan wiring harness. It'll be in the stereo section. No you don't need an installation kit, just the wiring harness. This will plug into the cars wiring harness without the need to cut into the car's wiring. Nice and simple. If you don't already have one i also suggest an Antenna Adapter. A nice little trick to get better reception. Use some thin wiring and connect both leads from the stock dual diversity antenna together before you place the adapter over it. This will then draw signal from both antennas instead of just the power antenna for better radio reception. Next you'll take a little trip down to Radio Shack. You'll want to purchase blank RCA/phono plugs.

Next thing to do is wire up your new Nissan Wiring Harness and your new HU's wiring harness together. Don't forget the electrical tape. If it's a name brand deck(which i would hope it is ) it's basically just matching up like colors of wires together. Red to red, black to black, etc. etc. you get the idea. Now comes the tricky part. ONLY connect the constant power, switched power, ground, illumination(if your new deck has it), and Amplifier/Antenna turn on lead(very important or else the Speaker Amps won't turn on and you'll have no sound, also your antenna won't go up, these are seperate on the wiring harness but most likely the same from your HU, some manufacturers seperate them, most don't) from your HU to the wiring harness. The powered output from your deck will not be required. The blank RCA plugs that you purchased from Radio Shack will now be wired into the Nissan Wiring Harness where the speaker leads would normally connect to. Center electrode is positive, outer shielding is negative. These you will connect to the preamp outputs to your HU. If your HU only has one set then you'll need to buy a pair of Y adapters. If you use these, keep left and right together to keep your stereo effect.
Basically what you've done is turned your aftermarket HU into a preamp deck this way, which is how most high end systems are setup anyway. Deck preamp --> Amplifiers --> Speakers --> You.

Then install it. http://www.carstereohelp.com/stereor...300zxradio.htm
installation is reverse of removal.

Last edited by Riz Z Speed; 11-19-2005 at 02:25 PM.
Old 11-19-2005, 11:34 PM

thanks alot Riz Z Speed. i appreciate it a whole bunch. i've been driving around without a stereo for a couple of months now. this'll be a nice change for once.