300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

JDM engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2003, 03:55 PM

JDM engine

I'm looking to R&R my `90 300zx tt engine. Has any one installed one of the JDM engines w/good results? If so, please let me know where you got. I'm looking for a reputable company if any exist. Thanks.
Old 06-02-2003, 11:38 AM

I am pretty sure it is ECU/ECM set up. because the JDM engine is running about 300 at the crank stock. thecams appeared the same, but then again im not a "master of the cams" or nothing, the ECU/ECM on a JDM version is just designed to put out a WHOLE lot more nut. Besides the fact that (i think, this is what I have heard) JUN and MINES teamed up to make the ECU even better. I saw one in our wholesale products list and it says that its from the Nissan factory in Japan. so I am not too sure. peace
Old 06-07-2003, 12:06 PM

Yeah he is right, unfortately, America' DOT and EPA sucks *****, (making us people spend 10 g to make Skyline legal, those bastards!) so we cant really get away with this. But here is some advice to you guys that something illegal with your emissions, in 2006 EPA is calling that all automobiles and motor power means of transportation must be EPA checked and aproved. If you fail, you get a nice fine (somewhere around 550 bucks!), but it mostly depends on how much "DEADLY" ( or so they say)gases you were putting out. So if you have, or are planning on gutting out your cats, DO NOT DO IT! It's not worth the time.

p.s. is that a 92?
Old 06-08-2003, 04:13 PM

Yeah I thought so, most of the Z's 92 and on have an extended nose, about 6 inches, so it'sa dead give away. Sick ride, I like it a whole lot. Yeah keep us posted on what you have done to it. peace
Old 06-08-2003, 10:35 PM

.............. what can I say......... DAMN! Nice ride, like those pictures, giving me some good ideas, maybe some day i'll have a Z. peace
If at FIRST you do not SUCCEDE, LOWER your STANDARDS
Old 06-14-2003, 05:35 AM
Administrative Brown Guy

Careful what you wish for... I met someone at a car show that had a Japan spec Z. Although it was quite a nice show car i'd be careful of putting a JDM Engine in a US body because everything is backwards in the JDM engine. From the car I saw all electical connections, ac lines, brake lines, etc are all reversed. If you can get anyone who has actually done this to advise you, then i would suggest go for it for the just the stock hp advantage, otherwise good luck.
Old 06-29-2003, 05:56 PM

Well I got one...

I picked it up this weekend. My new question is do you have to remove the lower suspension crossmember to remove the engine/tranny assy? My Nissan MM says I do, but it wouldn't be the first time its wrong I hope... Well thanks again for your replies. Thanks to all of you for your informative answers.
Old 06-30-2003, 05:47 AM

Ok You guys are killing me with all this talk about JDM hp.
let it be known that the "JDM" motor is tuned to 280 full stock from the factory! the missing "20" hp is gained by simple bolt on's. The reason that the Japan spec Z's are 280 stock is the same the GTR's are 280. It's all about money. All the cars here in japan are either 280 or way over. It wouldnt be good for the car makers to do so. If they do then its a limited thing just like the 400R (GTR). Now that car has how many ponies? Thats right 400 hp. If you were to look at the stock specs of the GTR vice the 400R the few extra parts don't add up to $20.000 extra dollars!
As for the motor swap goes there are a few cosmedic diffrences. The motor is not a mirror image to the one that you work on. the easiest way to do the swap iis to set them side by side. Take note to the hoses and vacum hoses. You might have to swap out a few parts from the old motor like the surge tank and balance tube with the fuel regulator's and fuel rail. That should relocate most of the lines to the right side of the car!
Old 07-25-2003, 03:18 PM

Chill!!!!!!!!

Not too sure. All I know is that we measured at 92 and a 90(heard rumors), and the 92 was 6 inchs longer! I fit better in the 92 as well (6 foot 7inches).
Oh and Drag300, the difference there is an RB-GT2(get back to you on that, not sure) motor, its not an RB26..... its almost confusing, it is a VERY upgraded version, there was also the 270R(Silvia), it was an upraded SR, the same way. The 400R was unique in that it changed the way people preceived normal street cars. It was rumored that it could turn around completely using only half of the street(thanks to HICAS)! If you ask me, 2,343,628 YEN more isnt enough for a Skyline that nice! Instead of the stock Garrett T-28 turbos (at the time), it had turbos that were twice as big! If you look at even the reproductions of the 400R body kit, wheels and tires, and the RB-GT2 engine, that is WAY more expensive to do a conversion! The NISMO 400R is my dream car, and one day I will have one(look alike at least... haha), so untill then, I am a Z lover! Peace(if you want a Skyline, look in the FOR SALE section, and check out my rides that are for sale)

Last edited by NISMO LMR; 07-25-2003 at 03:20 PM.
Old 07-25-2003, 05:16 PM

Bah! Too much, I sell them anyways, I could get one at anytime.(if I took out a loan, HAHA), but if YOU want to BUY one, let me know.
Old 07-25-2003, 07:14 PM

Yet..... Another customer

Great, E-Mail me at nismolmr@aol.com, and i'll lay them out to you, the cars are in Arizona, so your in luck. Get back to me soon. Thanks a lot. Peace

Quick Reply: JDM engine