300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

light coming on????

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 10:19 PM

light coming on????

everytime i step on my brake, a red like comes on...i dont get it...its located on the top left corner of the gauges, right by the windshield fluid light...anyone think why this might be happening?
Old 05-20-2006, 11:23 PM

Red light that looks like a high beam indicator? If so that would be the infamous "HEY JERK OFF!! ONEOF YOUR BRAKE LIGHTS IS BURNED OUT!!" indicator.

Now the downside: Chances are you DON'T have a bulb out. This light works off a sensor that checks for the resistance on the bulb circuits which may or (most likely) may not indicate a burned out bulb. It can mean anything from slight corrosion in the bulb housing to a little bit of moisture present to even having a bulb thats brand new but has the incorrect resistance rating on it. It's a very frustrating light all around.

I myself get this if my car sits out in the rain or if the rear end gets hit with a pressure washer too hard. Best advice I can give is to pull your bulbs one by one, clean em off, check the connectors for corrosion and put em back in. If it still comes on make sure your car sits in a nice dry area for a couple days, maybe put a portable fan in the trunk and have it blow into the brake light access panels for a few hours.

Mine usually goes like this if I get "the light":

Day 1-2 = Light comes on when I hit the brakes or when I have the headlights on.

Day 3-5 = Light stays off when the headlights are on but comes on when I hit the brakes, may stay on with the headlights on after prolonged braking.

Day 6+ = Light is off with headlights on, possibly comes on if the brake lights are on for extended periods of time but may go off and on. Eventually everything normalizes.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-21-2006, 12:04 AM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Check all your tail light bulbs... if they're all working, then I'd say to go to Nissan and buy three of the correct 3rd tail light bulbs (based on your avatar, it looks like you have the stock 90TT spoiler). Like Comorat2x2 said, the sensor works off resistance, and the ONLY third brake light bulbs that will work without setting off that indicator are the genuine Nissan bulbs.

Once all your bulbs work and you have genuine Nissan bulbs in the third brake light, the indicator will go off.
Old 05-21-2006, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by ZLover4Life
Check all your tail light bulbs... if they're all working, then I'd say to go to Nissan and buy three of the correct 3rd tail light bulbs (based on your avatar, it looks like you have the stock 90TT spoiler). Like Comorat2x2 said, the sensor works off resistance, and the ONLY third brake light bulbs that will work without setting off that indicator are the genuine Nissan bulbs.

Once all your bulbs work and you have genuine Nissan bulbs in the third brake light, the indicator will go off.
thanks ill pick some up this coming week and let u know if it goes well