300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Lots of smoke....

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 02:06 PM

Lots of smoke....

Just got my engine rebuilt but when turning on the car, lots of smoke comes out my exhaust... I mean a lot... Does anyone know why this is happening? thanks for the help...
Old 04-22-2005, 08:39 PM

Was it rebuilt from the bottom up, or just the top end? Who did the work?

When they reassembled it they likely used a signifnicant amount of oil so that there isn't any excess friction on the 1st start up. It could just take some time to burn off. Or it could be something bad. How does it feel and sound? How's the oil pressure?
Old 04-22-2005, 10:18 PM

Also did you put a new exhaust on? any cats?
Old 04-23-2005, 02:52 PM

My engine was rebuilt by a local mechanic who made a house call. It was rebuilt from the ground up and some parts taken from a 93 engine too. I was told by the guy that the piston rings werent placed in the right order causing oil to come into the exhaust pipes causing all the smoke. After leaving my car running for about 3 mins, lots of smoke built up. My whole garage was filled up with smoke and outside too. Then the guy check my oil and told me my oil was low, even after he poured in 4 quarts. So he must of been right, right? I'm not up to speed on the car concept, so any advice would help... thanks... also I didnt have any new exhaust system or cats put in. thanks for your responses.
Old 04-23-2005, 06:51 PM
El Viejo

Originally Posted by superz
My engine was rebuilt by a local mechanic who made a house call. It was rebuilt from the ground up and some parts taken from a 93 engine too. I was told by the guy that the piston rings werent placed in the right order causing oil to come into the exhaust pipes causing all the smoke. After leaving my car running for about 3 mins, lots of smoke built up. My whole garage was filled up with smoke and outside too. Then the guy check my oil and told me my oil was low, even after he poured in 4 quarts. So he must of been right, right? I'm not up to speed on the car concept, so any advice would help... thanks... also I didnt have any new exhaust system or cats put in. thanks for your responses.
Some rules on rebuilding a engine. If using your old parts you don't mixup the lifters. You don't mixup the valves, and you don't mixup the rings unless you want problems. Same holds true for the bearings. If the bore sizes are the right size for the old pistons then with a light hone and new rings you shouldn't have any problem.
Old 04-23-2005, 08:54 PM

is it still smoking....i was hoping it could be just some spilt oil....*crossesfingers*
Old 04-23-2005, 11:19 PM

Havent turned it on today... Im going to try first thing in the morning... Thanks for the support...
Old 04-25-2005, 09:14 PM

Yes, you're right about the rings. The bottom ring is the oil ring that allows more onto the cylinder wall. If that ring was installed incorrectly, then you'll have a smoke problem.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:35 PM
El Viejo

Originally Posted by 91zxtt
Yes, you're right about the rings. The bottom ring is the oil ring that allows more onto the cylinder wall. If that ring was installed incorrectly, then you'll have a smoke problem.
Right on...using old rings in the wrong hole generally causes big oil problems, and if your lucky might seat. And if the rings were installed wrong problems also.
Cross your fingers they seat!!!!!!!!A old trick we use to use to get the rings to seat quicker is put a little Bon-Amme in the intake. It's a abraisive and sometimes well seat the rings quick, but be careful.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:23 AM

Not to be a troll or anything, but who in their right mind would pay a mechanic to rebuild a motor and use used parts?? Especially things like bearing which can be had for less than 200 dollars!! Hope everything works out...I was dreading the start up of mine after it was rebuilt. Fortunately everything went smoothyl
Old 04-26-2005, 11:36 PM

Hope so guys... My pistons andrings were new, got them from the nissan dealership... The parts that I got from the 93 engine were the wires, the fuel injectors, and alternator... Thanks for the messages and support...
Old 04-27-2005, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by superz
Hope so guys... My pistons andrings were new, got them from the nissan dealership... The parts that I got from the 93 engine were the wires, the fuel injectors, and alternator... Thanks for the messages and support...
Ohh ok...thats good!! I thought you were using used internals.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:44 PM

I'm with you LUKassZ. This isn't a job where you want to cut corners. Go big or go home.