300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Need some help...advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 09:38 PM

Need some help...advice

I have a 93 NON turbo, Automatic...with around 87K miles on it...About a couple months ago I changed out an injector...4 days later just leaving the house, the car died...

Has fuel pressure...The PTU has been changed...(No spark)...NO HELP...the Crank Angle sensor was changed...NO HELP...

My question...I do not know if the timing belt was changed.
The coil packs have power to them...but they are not getting a signal to fire.
There are NO fault codes in the ECU.
The car turns over...just does not fire.
All coils, fuses, relays have been checked...and as far as I can tell...and the local mechanic...(Who gave up and told me to tow it outta his shop)...

All of that said...I am at wits end...I am guessing...and guessing is the operative word at this point...down to an ECU, or the timing belt. I don't know what else it could be...

So...is there an easy way to confirm either and ECU or Timing belt without having to spend the money on an ECU? Could it be something else? any and all help is appreciated...
Old 04-13-2005, 06:11 AM
Jack Of All Trades

This might be just a start......... and food for thought...... others will chime in. Alot of times I've been fooled, convinced that I have an ignition problem and it ends up being a fuel problem and vice versa. On the timing belt, you might try pulling one of the upper covers to see if the belt is there or tight, ie: if it's broke it won't be tight across the cam pullies. Or, do a compression check, if the belt's broke, you'll have no compression in some cylinders. Assuming you've done the continuity checks on the components and they're o.k., the next recommendation would probably be to check and clean all of your connections and grounds. The other thing to check before seriously considering the ecu is the harness itself. Check the continuity from the connector endz to the ecu pinz. If you haven't, look at the fsm, there are some very detailed test procedures there.

How's that for 2 cents ($.02)?
Old 04-13-2005, 04:07 PM
Administrative Brown Guy

Originally Posted by Dave
and the local mechanic...(Who gave up and told me to tow it outta his shop)
this guy gets my vote for worst mechanic ever.
instead of seeking the challenge, he gives it back and with attitude?
i hope you didn't have to pay him for anything he did cuz obviously he didn't do anything.
Old 04-13-2005, 05:23 PM

Yup...agreed...And that was after he had "Trouble shot" it down to the Crank Angle sensor...which I bought and subsequently did not fix my problem...The only good thing...he did not ask me to pay for his time...LOL

Regards,
Dave
Old 04-13-2005, 05:25 PM

Canyon,
Thank you for your .2 cents! It was helpful...I will pull the timing cover and check out the belt...I will keep everyone posted on my findings.

Regards,
Old 04-14-2005, 09:49 AM

I hope it's not the belt but in case it is DO NOT CRANK IT AGAIN until you find out. Hopefully if it is the belt you haven't bent any valves yet.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:22 AM
Jack Of All Trades

Originally Posted by Denver93TT
I hope it's not the belt but in case it is DO NOT CRANK IT AGAIN until you find out. Hopefully if it is the belt you haven't bent any valves yet.
If it is the belt, things are already bent since he's been trying to start it.....
Old 04-14-2005, 12:06 PM

If I had bent a valve...would I not have heard something?
Old 04-14-2005, 01:37 PM
Jack Of All Trades

Originally Posted by Dave
If I had bent a valve...would I not have heard something?
Only for a few revolutions of the motor. Besides if the belt was broke it would not turn over smoothly. Some cylinders would have no compression and some would have rather high compression. I wasn't thinking your belt was broke in the 1st place. but, it's something to check, just in case
Old 04-14-2005, 04:14 PM

Good...had me worried...It turns over smoothly...I will be checking it out next week and let everyone know what I find! Thanks for the help!