300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

New clutch questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 12:16 AM

New clutch questions

Ok so i have a 90 na and i just got a clutch and flywheel installed. The clutch is a stage 3 heavy duty six puck (I know probably not the best for the NA) and Fidanza flywheel. I got it installed and i everything works great, I just have a concern because when i start my car it makes like a zip sound maybe from the flywheel getting started. Has anyone else heard this sound. Also the clutch engages with the pedal very low to the floor about 2-3 inches off the floor which i like but when im taking off in first i feel some vibration if im not giving it enough gas. I have to give a bit more gas to take off because of the flywheel. But when releasing the pedal sometimes the car kinda shakes is that because it's a six puck and im feeling the pucks hit the pressure plate or do you think i have a problem. The car runs great and shifts like a dream i was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Any info. would be much appreciated thanks a lot.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:50 AM
caught the z fever

i had all the same things happen to me with my 6-puck and lightweight flywheel on my n/a
i honestly liked the 6-puck, but thats because i like having a stiff clutch/engage point.
the 6 puck will chatter on starts if you dont give it gas, and also if you dont have the rpms matched when shifting

check out the clutch adjustment pages in rizz'z link page at the bottom
Old 10-06-2006, 04:01 PM

i had a 6 puck

and it engaged rather roughly, is yours sprung (i mean does it have little springs near the center perpandicularly placed to rotational force?) or is it solid. I ask cause those solid ones will shake the fillings out of your teeth. They engage pretty much all at once, you can learn to kinda rev the engine and while its dropping in revs let out the clutch and rev it again to set off without much chatter. Its a technique thing and i'm sure you will get it after you unlearn a regular clutch . You can always upgrade to the double or triple plate carbon carbon clutch....That's a whole other beast. When i installed one of those I couldn't seem to stop stalling.

As far as your pedal feel you might want to bleed the clutch again or you might not as the 6 puck is a bit thinner then the standard clutch and wont release until the pedal travels a bit further. As long as the feel stays the same each application of the pedal, then you are alright.
Old 10-06-2006, 04:26 PM
Queen of Yachts

Location: warmspott, trollville.......somewhere sailing the seas--fla, virgin islands...wherever....warm water....LOL
my 50AE has a condition similar tio the one you mentioned--clutch engages sooo close to the floor--does yours have difficulty shifting down from 2 into 1st gear?? min e does--mwechanic said is a-ok. just some clutches are like that--i do not like that--feels wrong to me.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:24 PM
Jack Of All Trades

Originally Posted by z-hag
min e does--mwechanic said is a-ok. just some clutches are like that--i do not like that--feels wrong to me.
You should tell your mechanic that it's not o.k. and he should fix it properly....... either bleed it or properly adjust the pedal freeplay or both.