300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

new clutch time

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2003, 03:23 PM
Administrative Brown Guy

do you have a tt or an N/A?
Old 10-22-2003, 01:41 PM
Administrative Brown Guy

JWT, RPS,HKS, and other 3-letter acronymed companies make really good clutches. All kidding aside though, it depends on how much you wanna spend and what your needs are. You don't necessarily have to spend $1000 on a clutch, although you could.
I say try these websites so you get a good idea of the brands and prices. As far as brand goes everyone has a preference and their own ideas about a certain piece.
I have an N/A, I bought the cheapest clutch I could find. Granted I don't autocross or drag race, but I spent what I wanted and drive accordingly. Once this clutch goes, I'll be spending a bit more but until then I'll make due.
www.strictlyz.com www.boost-solutions.com www.specialtyz.com www.sgpracing.com www.splparts.com www.nopionline.com www.stillen.com www.ultimatez.com www.overbooststore.com www.avalonracing.net www.z1motorsports.com
Old 10-22-2003, 02:24 PM
Administrative Brown Guy

You don't necessarily HAVE to replace the flywheel. If you have the money to go ahead! I recommend the RPS flywheel because of its segmented sections. Check it out at specialty Z. The lighter flywheel will help you spool your turbos faster. For the clutch, though, make sure you get a full kit. Clutch disc, pressure plate, throw-out bearing, and alignment tool should be included in the whole thing. Al though you might not need the alignment tool if you're gonna have someone at a shop do it for you. Or you could just purchase the disc itself if everything else is still in good condition. Depends on the application and service need.
Old 10-23-2003, 01:27 PM

http://www.specialtyz.com/rps.htm

Specialty Z has free shipping. The RPS TT Sport Street Clutch is a nice upgrade for a Stage 3 TT. It comes with Pressure plate, throw out bearing, pilot bearing and clutch alignment tool for $335. The other companies have practically the same price for same kit or equitable but charge shipping. Get a rear main seal and replace it while your in there.

Steve
Old 10-26-2003, 08:40 PM
Administrative Brown Guy

Depends on how you drive

Do you feel the need to drag race on occasion? Are you planning to drag race or autocross? Do you just want the absolute lowest priced clutch you can find? How much can you afford? The best performance clutch for the price I think would be....
http://www.nopionline.com/index.cfm?...60&vTitle=1994 NISSAN 300ZX Clutch/Transmission Clutch Kit&vaffid=0
Granted, there are less expensive ones but this is the cheapest price that I've seen for this particular clutch. If this is still too much you could go with the less expensive clutches from Centerforce. Or you could go really cheap and try your local parts stores in your area, Autozone, Napa, Advanced autoparts, etc. There's a good chance that they're clutches will be even less expensive and should be treated as such. The clutches that you would get from these stores won't exactly be performance pieces. So, your driving should reflect that.
Old 10-27-2003, 02:51 AM
Administrative Brown Guy

depends on where you go I guess

Who you take it to will determine what you pay. Don't you have some buddies that'll enjoy working on cars? Ya know the ones that'll pretty much do whatever for just a case of beer? The clutch really isn't that difficult to replace if you have the proper tools. IF is a big word all of sudden isn't it?
I'd inquire at various shops if I were you if you're not up to doing the install yourself or with friends. Good luck