300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

New z32 wants bov and growl

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 12:47 AM

New z32 wants bov and growl

Hi all, I’m new to the group and have a few questions to start out. I will soon be purchasing a 92 tt and would like to add some bovs and an exhaust. My question is this: What all is involved with adding a bov, what do I need to replace/add to the system? Price? Also, I would like to add an exhaust that has a nice throaty muscle growl, not ricey. Does anyone know of a good setup for this?

Thx
Old 01-19-2005, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by danztt
...an exhaust that has a nice throaty muscle growl, not ricey.
LOL, doesn't everyone ask this???
I'll tell you right now that most everyone will recommend SpecialtyZ exhaust... or B&B...
Old 01-19-2005, 10:44 AM
Banned

to add a blow off valve you need to

A) Get giant aluminum wing
B) Get some really heavy *** 18" rims
C) Pull motor and install bov
D) Put motor back in
E) turn visor sideways and go rev at anything that moves
Old 01-19-2005, 11:08 AM
Aqua Teen Hunger Force Fan

Hi all, I’m new to the group and have a few questions to start out. I will soon be purchasing a 92 tt and would like to add some bovs and an exhaust. My question is this: What all is involved with adding a bov, what do I need to replace/add to the system? Price? Also, I would like to add an exhaust that has a nice throaty muscle growl, not ricey. Does anyone know of a good setup for this?

Thx
You can either remove your recircs and install the BOVs there or get some hard pipes and have them welded on. HKS kit runs about $580.
Old 01-19-2005, 01:37 PM
caught the z fever

yea...labree/sebring exhaust...you can get all of your exhaust stuff from there
www.specialtyz.com

heres a little info about BOVs
https://www.zdriver.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11384

use rizzspeed's link page to search for anything Z32
https://www.zdriver.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8434
Old 01-19-2005, 01:38 PM
caught the z fever

and dont worry about what evan said
Old 01-19-2005, 07:33 PM

I believe Evan was basically saying that is unnecessary to add BOV's to a TT with exhaust as the only modification.

He's right....you could do a whole lot more with that $. ECU and intake with a little to spare.
Old 01-20-2005, 06:16 PM

i think any exhaust you put on a z will sound good but thats because of the motor and turbos, i had custom pipes bent with flowmasters and DTM tips. and yeah i wouldnt worry about BOVs spend the money on intake and ecu, the recircs work better for anything below stage 3, and you dont need them,im sure they will know its turbo.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:55 PM

Thx all for the info. That page with all the links is very nice. I will probably end up with the SpecialtyZ and the HKS kit when the time comes. For now, it sounds like I should hold off on the BOVs for a while since I don’t have a suitable hat to turn sideways and probably need some carbon fiber on the car by what evan is saying… Now that the topic has changed a bit, is there any dual intake that is better than another? Also, I’ve seen a ton of different ECUs and prices. What makes em different?
Old 01-21-2005, 05:50 AM
Jack Of All Trades

Also, I’ve seen a ton of different ECUs and prices. What makes em different?
Good question. I've been wondering this myself. The Ash / Z1 ecu seems, comparably, like a good price. What don't I get with Ash vs JWT? Has anybody used that GMS chip?
Old 01-21-2005, 07:13 AM

well first you wont need the doolz unless your pushing like 500hp. just go with the single pop. and as far as ecu if you send it to JWT or ASH they solder in a socket with the eprom. if you get gms it is just the eprom and the socket they send you and you need to get it solderd in. i think. cause all ive seen is them selling the eprom not having it sent to them for install. you can get the GMS for cheaper and then have a tv repair place solder it in.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:25 PM

^^^. He's right about the dual intake. I haven't read much about the GMS chip except for that it is comparable to the ASH chip. JWT is not quite the top programmer anymore.

I've read that the DOOLZ is superior to the JWT dual intake. I guess some have run into a problem with rough idle and a slight stumble off idle with the JWT.
Old 01-22-2005, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by 91zxtt
^^^. He's right about the dual intake. I haven't read much about the GMS chip except for that it is comparable to the ASH chip. JWT is not quite the top programmer anymore.

I've read that the DOOLZ is superior to the JWT dual intake. I guess some have run into a problem with rough idle and a slight stumble off idle with the JWT.
Does the low speed drivability kit not cure that completely?
Old 01-22-2005, 09:35 PM

The deisgn of the Ash unit looks more efficient with dual pipes blending in together. Better intake airflow cersus the hard 90 turn the JWT units have. HKS has a different approach with their dual intake setup. Though I wouldnt call it a true dual setup.
http://www.hksusa.com/images/?id=1439
Old 01-22-2005, 09:55 PM

Ash has developed a new dual intake system. Sounds promising :burnout:
http://www.twinturbo.net/net/viewmsg...msg_id=1450966
Old 01-23-2005, 07:27 PM

yeah the DoolZ intake..it is for front mount intercooler equiped cars. It relocates the air intakes down to where the factory ICs were. The only thing is u better watch out for standing water. The kit looks great, but i would look into a set of those air by pass kits from AEM to mount before the MAF unit. To have backup in case u do suck water up.
Old 01-23-2005, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by WhtFairLadyZ
yeah the DoolZ intake..it is for front mount intercooler equiped cars. It relocates the air intakes down to where the factory ICs were. The only thing is u better watch out for standing water. The kit looks great, but i would look into a set of those air by pass kits from AEM to mount before the MAF unit. To have backup in case u do suck water up.
From what ASH has been saying, this is something completly new and is in testing right now. It's the second generation Doolz.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:58 PM

Oh really! cool. I wonder what he has in store for us this go around. It would be considered the DOOLZ V.3 then. You can already buy the V.1 and V.2.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by 00Evan
to add a blow off valve you need to

A) Get giant aluminum wing
B) Get some really heavy *** 18" rims
C) Pull motor and install bov
D) Put motor back in
E) turn visor sideways and go rev at anything that moves
heh everyone flamed you at 3ZC.com so you took you childish replies to this forum! Poor people... How are those N/A gears threating you anyway? HAHA
Old 02-05-2005, 10:55 AM

Where's that owned or flamed smilie when I need it.
Old 02-05-2005, 11:42 AM

i have a set of hks super sqv for sale brand new
$500 plus shipping