300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

this no longer sucks...ithink

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 03:47 PM
Über User

this sucks

so after all my bitchin and complaining i finally did the simple thing ive been dreading and compression tested cylinder number 2, i got 95psi. the one next to it hit 160psi, added some squirts of oil and got 130psi reading in cyl # 2. so im screwed arent I ?
Old 07-04-2006, 04:26 PM
caught the z fever

uh-oh.....
Old 07-04-2006, 05:02 PM
Über User

Originally Posted by b300z
uh-oh.....
those are some very comforting words
Old 07-04-2006, 10:55 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

It may be a cracked ring.

The only way you're going to find out for sure is to tear it down... sorry to hear about your misfortune, I know what it's like.

For what it's worth, though, if you couldn't get a reading off the injector, it was probably dead too... so it's not like you replaced it for nothing.

Last edited by ZLover4Life; 07-04-2006 at 10:57 PM.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:10 AM
caught the z fever

or a dead valve

are you gonna sell it like that, or fix it?
Old 07-05-2006, 11:09 AM
Über User

not to sure, some one in rockford IL just replaced their N/A's engine for a JDM one and said its free otherwise he's junkin it, i e-mailed him about it said it needed new injectors thats about it, all my injectors are good now, so im thinking on picking it up since its free checkin it out and just swapin the motors for nothing. sounds decently reasonable to me. until then i was gonna through in some of that ceramic metal crap in the oil that is supposed to build up on scratched things to restore compression see if thats got any truth to it, might as well not like that will cost much. lol. i got some decision making to do though thats for sure.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:31 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
not to sure, some one in rockford IL just replaced their N/A's engine for a JDM one and said its free otherwise he's junkin it, i e-mailed him about it said it needed new injectors thats about it, all my injectors are good now, so im thinking on picking it up since its free checkin it out and just swapin the motors for nothing. sounds decently reasonable to me. until then i was gonna through in some of that ceramic metal crap in the oil that is supposed to build up on scratched things to restore compression see if thats got any truth to it, might as well not like that will cost much. lol. i got some decision making to do though thats for sure.
Just as another possibility, there's a Z32 in the junk yard in Summit... I believe the engine is still in it.

or a dead valve
Not likely. Adding oil to a cylinder with a bad valve probably won't have much of an effect on the compression, let alone a 35psi increase. However, a leakdown test would answer that one more accurately. Either way, he's only going to know for sure when he takes the engine apart.

Last edited by Riz Z Speed; 07-06-2006 at 02:09 PM.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:55 PM
Über User

true that, all the reason why i added the oil in, and imm guessin ring or huge gauge in cylinder wall or soemthign of those sorts, not a head gasket mostlikely not a valve seating problem, i called the guy i can pick up the motor, its already out sitting so i just gotta grab it the only thing missing is the water pump but i have one, so i will take advantage and get that motor and then decide what i do from there. still sucks, if only i sold it a month ago like when i wanted this would be someone elses problem.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:51 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

... perhaps I've had too much experience with parts failure on the Z32, but I never look at it as a problem. I always look at it as an opportunity to upgrade. If I were in your position, I'd take down the For Sale sign and start working on the Twin Turbo swap.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by ZLover4Life
... perhaps I've had too much experience with parts failure on the Z32, but I never look at it as a problem. I always look at it as an opportunity to upgrade. If I were in your position, I'd take down the For Sale sign and start working on the Twin Turbo swap.
this is what my brother says...it didnt break, its time for an upgrade hehe.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:08 PM
Über User

well, the same thing popped in my head, but the parents who shelter me still seem to think the 4 sale sign should stay up, i dont know, im contemplating on what to do, it is the perfect opportunity but i want a motorcycle, dotn make enough money to get a tt motor to start screwin around on nor will my parents let me shelter a shell car while im doing a motor swap. i might be able to put it in my friends shopp and do it there, but i still got the money and parents problem. but we will see. i just wont try to push it for sale and if it doesnt sell what can they say about it then right? then just start savin, i can build a monster of a motor if i have the patience for it i guess, its all out of the car can put new internals in it if i want turbos, who knows. but i still dont know.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:10 PM
Über User

this free engine im getting can i put new internals in it and start building it into a TT motor? that would be chepaer than aquiring a tt block since this one is free no? same stuff besides pistons on the inside right? oh- but the tranny will be diff right? different clutch disk diameter and they dont make as strong clutches for the na as they do for the TT right?
Old 07-06-2006, 07:37 PM
NisTuner

Actuall I would think you'd need a whole different exhaust manifold since it's built for a TT setup as opposed to an N/A, not to mention the tons of extra sensors that come along with the turbo and the different wiring harnesses you will run into. Plus the heads would be different since the Turbos run a lower compression than the N/As. I'd say about the only thing that really is the same is the block itself.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:39 PM
caught the z fever

lubrication and cooling systems are different
ive heard the tt crank is forged, and n/a crank is cast

btw, i have many TT parts sitting in my garage right now. they wont go for free, but i can work something with you if you want
Old 07-06-2006, 10:40 PM
Über User

haha, cool, well i would probly want an entire TT front clip for all my basic parts anyways. i know the manifolds were differnet and that you need an oil suply and return all that jazz, but if i could make the NA block work just as good an for cheaper id go that way at first thought, then i remember soem of the other unchangeble differnces.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:22 PM
Ruff Ryder

lubrication and cooling systems are different

btw, i have many TT parts sitting in my garage right now. they wont go for free, but i can work something with you if you want
i could use a set of TT heads..
Old 07-07-2006, 07:43 AM
caught the z fever

assembled? pm with what all you need
Old 07-07-2006, 01:09 PM
Über User

i could use a TT front clip... hmm ... well first im gonna try to lie my *** off and sell it for what it isnt worth, if that dont work and i dont crazy luck out its gonna be TT swap time.
Old 07-08-2006, 08:51 AM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

You've heard wrong. In fact, I don't think I've ever even heard of ANY car having a cast crank... it wouldn't last a minute at the RPM's and pressures they see. I'm 99.99% sure the TT and NA cranks are the same.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:57 PM
Über User

this no longer sucks...ithink

well, contrary to my last thread i have a sad but glad day today, and now a worried one, well first off, i sold my z. thats the sad, the glad is i got 5k for it and with the low compression cylinder. so i lucked out alot, specially since i bought the car for 3900 a year ago. however on my way home i almost got into a horrible car crash, some stupid chevy truck turned ont the street i was on towards me and more than halfwya in my lane, about 75 feet infront of me while i was doing 50mph, i was amazingly able to lay on the brakes horn clutch and swereve around him all in the same second. and then maintain control and everything worked out. the worrie is though he paid in personal check and i gave him title and car, i hope he doesnt scam my ***. however i got his drivers license number home and cell number, cell works for sure, and i met his wife and two little daughters, doesnt seem likley its a scam on me. but yeah my problem is gone and wtih profit.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:59 PM
Über User

oh and sorry guys i just read my post and its worded a bit sketchy so dont make fun this time lol
Old 07-09-2006, 05:14 AM

well congrats on not dieing and "congrats" on selling ( I guess, congrats to the guy u sold it to ).
Old 07-09-2006, 06:32 AM

You gave someone the title to your car before a personal check cleared?

*shakes head and walks away*
Old 07-09-2006, 07:54 AM
Über User

i know i know, i feel stupid, im gonna go to HIS house today and either hold onto it or just get some extra bill of sales signed up and stuff so i have proof that he exists and where he says he does and that we agreed on these terms, then i dont really need the title.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:14 AM
caught the z fever

careful there

good sell and good save

Quick Reply: this no longer sucks...ithink