300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

to nos or not to nos

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2005, 08:46 PM

to nos or not to nos

how horrible is adding NOS to your car even if it is only a 50shot?
Old 06-26-2005, 11:45 PM
Old Polish Lady Lover

Location: Cheektowaga, NY...land of nothing but a mall and 10,000 old Polish ladies
if you're tuned for it, are running lower boost or have upgraded injectors, and are twin turbo obviously...then it can be very very beneficial...

i know a local guy that ran 11.7, threw on a 50 shot, ran 11.2...$500 kit for 0.5 seconds off of your quarter? good cost to performance ratio if you ask me....
Old 06-27-2005, 05:29 AM

i have NA Z and would be upgrading the injectors i just heard it was dangerous though!
Old 06-27-2005, 09:27 AM
El Viejo

Being it's a N/A if you put a good cold ait intake, 2 1/2" exhaust with freeflowing mufflers, underdrive pulley, 370cc TT injectors, chip your ECU for you new injectors then put a 50-75 shot of Nitrous it well put you in the stock TT performance range, plus you have 4.08 rearend gear ratio.
I suggest a dry system. I got one for $375 with shipping on eBay.
Like 90NA300ZX says, "good cost to performance ratio if you ask me...."
Old 06-27-2005, 11:05 PM
S13 or Z32?....decisions, decisions.

Is it still dangerous to use if I were to not upgrade the Injectors, ECU, or UD Pulley?

I'm getting a new intake, and exhaust system this week and am starting to look at nitrous next, would just the intake and exhaust (including tuneup, new spark plugs, and cleaned injectors) be sufficient enough to take like a 75 shot once and awhile, or is it still in the dangerous zone w/o the other upgrades?

EDIT: A wet system, not a dry system, that way there is both nitrous and fuel being injected.

Last edited by RPS13_GZ32; 06-27-2005 at 11:08 PM.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:12 PM
El Viejo

Originally Posted by RPS13_GZ32
Is it still dangerous to use if I were to not upgrade the Injectors, ECU, or UD Pulley?

I'm getting a new intake, and exhaust system this week and am starting to look at nitrous next, would just the intake and exhaust (including tuneup, new spark plugs, and cleaned injectors) be sufficient enough to take like a 75 shot once and awhile, or is it still in the dangerous zone w/o the other upgrades?

EDIT: A wet system, not a dry system, that way there is both nitrous and fuel being injected.
If this is the way you plan to go then by all means go the wet Nitrous system. You don't wan't to max out your injectors.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:37 PM

It is, i guess my question is if you think it would be relatively safe enough? (assuming the fuel and cooling system were working perfectly) or if I would HAVE to do a few more upgrades first?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found the answers I was looking for, thanks for the help.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:37 PM

a friend told me that dry was more dangerous than a wet shot is that true?....
Old 06-30-2005, 05:24 AM

yes wet is the best summitracing sells a good kit for the z i have it
Old 06-30-2005, 05:34 AM

how much damage will it do to my car i want to use it very sparingly... but i want to know it is there!...and i f i want i could just up and leave most ppl at will!
Old 06-30-2005, 09:05 AM
The Cake Is A Lie!

Originally Posted by iminsideurZ
how much damage will it do to my car i want to use it very sparingly... but i want to know it is there!...and i f i want i could just up and leave most ppl at will!
its not as cut and dry as that, there are too many factors involved to say "it will do XYZ to your car". some people use it and never have a problem, others blow their motor quickly. as with anything, just research it alot, find out what people who dont have problems do. even then, its not a guarantee, **** happens.

Last edited by Riz Z Speed; 06-30-2005 at 10:28 PM.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:44 PM

someone told me today that you needed to check your spark plugs after every use or you might be f@#king stuff up.....and given how you have to remove the wiring and coil pack and the other piece to get to your back 2 plugs....seems a little much if he is correct......is he?

Last edited by Riz Z Speed; 06-30-2005 at 10:28 PM.
Old 07-02-2005, 03:50 AM

Its a smart idea, a fouling plug could cause a whole new set of problems. And i'm sure it's probably a common problem since the nitrous generates so much more heat, could protentially melt your plug. I'm sure you could find some colder plugs that could withstand the heat better, and that might cut back on how frequently you have to check em.

I've found (by reading), that as long as you have a near-perfect running fuel system, and preferably an aftermarket intake/exhuast to create more air flow, your motor shouldn't have too much of a problem with a small shot of nitrous. (Assuming it isn't high mileage, and you have done a recent tune-up like the 60k tune-up). If your looking for something more aggressive, then obviously uprgraded injectors, further efforts to cool your motor, more aggressive fuel map, etc. are the way to go. Just one thing to remember, you can never have too much fuel when running nitrous, it's only once you start either running to hot, or running lean, that you will have the most common problems that nitrous users have. I guess it's just like anything else, there's always some sort of risk envolved, just depends if you have the ***** to experiment.

Last edited by RPS13_GZ32; 07-02-2005 at 03:57 AM.
Old 07-03-2005, 11:02 AM
El Viejo

I have been running nitrous about 30 years. Lot of people who have never run it give advice.
Please listen.
Dry nitrous systems are only good to a 75 shot. If that is what you looking for and your stock fuel system can support it, they work great.

The wet system is much more felixable. It doesn't depend on the fuel system of the engine as it has it's own fuel metered for the nitrous being used.
If you follow the instructions provided with the kit you wont have any problems.
Once it's setup right you shouldn't have any problems with the plugs.

Small amounts of nitrous with a little retarded timing work fine.
I strongly suggest you install a good water/alky injection system as nitrous creates more heat in the combustion chamber. By doing so you can run you timing normal and get all the benefits nitrous has to offer.

In 30+ years of using nitrous I've never had 1 problem with it. Lucky? No, I just stay in it's range of use and don't try to make it do something it wasn't designed to do. I follow the makers suggestions on how to set it up, and fine tune it from there.
Like a supercharger or turbo, if you take it to 30lbs boost without up grading you system you'll have problems.

If you choose to go this way follow the instructions provided and if you have questions ask someone that uses it or contact the mfg. of your system.

Like supercharging needs intercooling, its better to cool your system with water/alky injection when using nitrous.
Old 07-03-2005, 11:22 PM
Old Polish Lady Lover

Location: Cheektowaga, NY...land of nothing but a mall and 10,000 old Polish ladies
one thing i forgot to mention is that, even though it is a good cost to performance ratio, i'd still never do it, there's always something better to do, better for the car, more efficient in power making...etc...nitrous is the best way to fry a motor...spend the extra cash and turbo it...you will never regret it
Old 07-08-2005, 09:08 PM
El Viejo

Originally Posted by 90NA300ZX
one thing i forgot to mention is that, even though it is a good cost to performance ratio, i'd still never do it, there's always something better to do, better for the car, more efficient in power making...etc...nitrous is the best way to fry a motor...spend the extra cash and turbo it...you will never regret it
Without getting into a pi$$ing contest, have you ever used nitrous or had it fry a motor?
I've heard rumors but never known anyone using nitrous frying a motor. The only way I see it possible is if a user gets carried away and goes a large shot with stock internals.
Kinda like running large (big ) boosts with a engine with stock internals.

Originally Posted by 90NA300ZX
if you're tuned for it, are running lower boost or have upgraded injectors, and are twin turbo obviously...then it can be very very beneficial...

i know a local guy that ran 11.7, threw on a 50 shot, ran 11.2...$500 kit for 0.5 seconds off of your quarter? good cost to performance ratio if you ask me....
these 2 posts kinda have a conflict with each other. I think the key to your posts is your statement, "i'd still never do it". A personal feeling and not a technocial fact.
Old 07-09-2005, 04:23 AM

Ok, here's the truth..nitrous dosen't mess up motors, bad drivers do, I mean sure..a 150 shot on a stock motor is gonna cause problems.. but if you stick with 50 or 75..You'll be in good shape. I'm thinking you could drop a second...A dry system is alot less complicated + easier to install then a wet, It's perfect for anyone who just wants an occasional kick in the pants...If you're planning on racing seriously (Which I doubt since you're running NA) a dry system will suffice, and save you money. The difference is one injects nitrous with your fuel(Wet), making it harder to run rich..and cause detonation..Rich is not always good. I'd go with a dry kit though.. I'm getting one for my 280zx and plan to drop a full second off my et's(Maybe more)..Simply put, nitrous is the best bang for your buck...on ANY car..and until you've expirenced it....Words just don't do it justice. Just Talk to people who have it, and ask for tips when using it..As long as you use it Wisely, you're not gonna hurt your motor.
Old 07-09-2005, 07:01 PM
Administrative Brown Guy

Vova....where are you with that corvette clip?
you remember the one where the corvette blew up like 20 feet from the tree?
post that link n show everyone That dumbasses+nitrous=fire.
Old 07-09-2005, 09:00 PM

lol, "the extra cash" we're talking about the difference between a $500 Nitrous Kit, or a $2500 Clip w/ the troubles financially and physically of installing the motor. I think I'd rather add some nitrous to this NA, and in the mean time save up for that TT swap, which I will also be able to use the nitrous on (carefully, if at all). Oh well, this is all true, I guess I'm just looking for some way to make my auto. NA a little bit faster for the time being, it kills me that this car is a 300zx and it is slower than a lot of hondas and even saturns that I have raced in the quarter, its utterly degrading.

EDIT: In the end, I haven't heard any solid evidence to support that a 50-75 shot on a Wet system, is in any way dangerous. I've heard the BS about how each shot you use takes 10k off the motors life, and BS about how it will "fry" your motor, but if you think about it logically, if you have a suffecient amount of fuel to create an equal enough mixture and prevent detonation, and your cooling system is working properly to prevent frying your rings, then the whole nitrous idea is a pretty simple and shouldn't create much more than a larger combustion in the cylinders. Assuming your gaskets, rings, and seals can hold the added pressure, then there shouldn't be much of a problem, and if they are having that much of a problem, then i'm sure the motor would be showing other signs of stress prior to the addition of the nitrous.

My basis is just that of my assumptions, but I have 2 friends who are currently using nitrous in their cars, and they are saying the same things: it's perfectly safe running it as long as you dont use anything over a 75 shot and you keep the shots short or at least let your motor cool down between runs so you don't end up frying it.

Last edited by RPS13_GZ32; 07-09-2005 at 09:11 PM.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:19 AM

ok not to be a devils advocate...but lets change the thought pattern here.

A question that has been brought up is the fact that NOS isnt legal. You will have legal problems as well.

I know because I was arrested wednesday for 64 in a 45 and attemptin to illude the police here in Ga. The cops niticed i had a few toggle switches on my dash for my el fans and fuel pump cut off switch and immediatly thought I had nitrous. So they began takin my interior apart and lookin under the hood. They didnt find anything bc i dont use it.

I m just glad they didnt look under the car bc i am runnin 2.5" test pipes and NO CATS. I would ahve been screwed
Old 07-17-2005, 06:26 PM

It’s only illegal if it is hooked up to your car via the primary hose. If you just have the tank in the back, and they can see that it isn’t physically hooked up, then what can they really say...and if they do ask, just tell them it’s in there because you race at the track from time to time. I don't think using it on the street is a smart idea anyway unless totally necessary, so if I were to put a system in my car, it wouldn't be hooked up for the majority of the time unless I had a race going on a Friday or sat. night.

EDIT: Lets just hope that having the tank in your car isn’t anymore illegal than having a tank of oxygen in your car, I don't think there is a single court in the states that could legitimately charge you for breaking the law by just having a tank sitting behind you w/o any hookups. I suppose they could possibly claim that you aren't Hazmat certified, thus cant transport any combustible gasses w/ you, but then wtf is the fuel that we tote around in our gas tanks?

Last edited by RPS13_GZ32; 07-17-2005 at 06:34 PM.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:57 AM

Just a little note on that last post. Nitrous Oxide is NOT flammable. It IS an oxidizer. This means that you can use it to ignite combustible material under pressure but put a lighter to the bottle and it will blow out the flame. Nitrous does 2 things when you inject it into your engine. It is a more effective oxidizer than oxygen so the mix burns hotter than with regular air and it lowers the cylinder temperature allowing a denser mix.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Denver93TT
Just a little note on that last post. Nitrous Oxide is NOT flammable.
I agree with you on it being an oxidizer, but I said it was combustible, not flammable, there is a huge difference.

Last edited by RPS13_GZ32; 07-19-2005 at 05:18 PM.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:35 PM

Hey guys what about the new Cryo2 i have been hearing about similiar no NOS but not quite as dangerous! And cheaper!

1993 300ZX N/A
Stillen hi flow Intake
Stillen Cat back
What next?
Old 07-19-2005, 08:07 PM

fu** nos all it dose if screw something up if u can win all natural then u dont need nos i have a 83 280zx and a 72 chevell and the chevell has 400 hp and a 250 shot of nos but i never use it becuse i dont like havind to rebidl my car every other year