300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Overheating, But Not

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2004, 06:06 AM

Overheating, But Not

Ive got the crazyest thing going on with my z right now....I just got my car inspected and it passed thank god... but when i started driving it.....after a while the thermostat just rose to hot for no reason..... so i stopped the car and let it cool down then took it home...I then realized duh theres no coolant in the coolant resevoir.....fixed that...

Then i took it out for a test drive, same thing.....the only thing is that i doesnt get hot when driving.........it gets hot when you have to stop...for instance i did a 60mph run down this road and then had to come to a stop to make a left. In the 1 minute it took for me to make my left and go 1/8 of a mile down the road my temp gauge was on H. Because of this we figured it was the clutch on the fan.....We replaced it.

Another test drive....same problem......This time we were a bit suspicious because there is not hot smell coming from the engine bay....We bring it home and leave the engine run and pop the hood. The temp gauge reads H. But its cool enough that i can set my hands ontop of the Plenums without buring myself.........On the other hand the radiator is Burning hot.....The water flowing into the engine is boiling hot but the engine is practicly ice cold. all the hoses are clear and the radiator flows perfectly.

I dont get it somebody help me.
Old 05-16-2004, 02:22 PM

Perhaps your radiator is bad?

Maybe you should go with an aftermarket higher quality one. Or maybe your input hose is clogged with something... Damn i've never heard of anything like this. Sound's a little wierd to me. Anyone else have any rational thoughts about this?
Old 05-16-2004, 02:35 PM

Yeah, I agree with NISMO. It's either the radiator or the hoses, but...
I would start here. First, make sure the temp sending unit is working OK. Maybe the car is not running hot at all. Of course you know if the car "smells" like it's running hot, that probably means your head gasket is gone, so you don't ever want to get to that point.
Then, have the radiator replaced. Don't try to fix it. I'm assuming that this may be old and therefore clogged inside.
Then while you're replacing the radiator, replace the hoses, specially the lower one that collapses and blocks all your coolant circulation. Get the aluminum pipe kit.
Good luck.
Old 05-16-2004, 07:45 PM

Aluminum lower pipe is $75, and well worth it if you ask me. If your head gasket's are gone... Your looking at an excess of $250 for the pair. Let us know.
Old 05-17-2004, 05:58 AM

thnx guys ill have to look into all this. thnx for the input though
Old 05-18-2004, 06:44 PM
Administrative Brown Guy

I suggest if you're gonna go through all that trouble of replacing the radiator to also replace your sensors (coolant temp. and temp gauge).

http://www.courtesyparts.com/z32/oe_cooling.html