300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

People on the Jeep forum suck.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 01:22 PM
Tough Guy

People on the Jeep forum suck.

This is a non z related question, but its from a long time z owner so maybe you can all take pity in me and help me out with something.

I have an 88 jeep cherokee.

Headlights work.

Tails work.

Dash does not work.

Clock doesnt work.

Radio doesnt work.

Cigarette lighter works.

Fuses are good for the instrument lights and the radio.

Not sure if theres an accessory relay or something along those lines.

People on the jeep forum suck and they hate on me because im not "XtReMe."

Some one help me out for the love of god.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:28 PM
Haterade by da gallon!

well with 300 posts you probly know that there is a section for non Z related cars https://www.zdriver.com/forums/other-cars-223/ but....

i hate to ask but did you check all the acc fuses? if they are blown thats not your problem but its is a start... also im not a jeep expert but there should be a wiring harness for the acc. check to see if its making a good connection

but there may be a separate fuse in the engine bay that works for all of the acc

GL i hate electrical problems

Last edited by 280zx2by2; 11-12-2008 at 02:35 PM.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:41 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

When you say "fuses are good," does that mean you looked at them and concluded that since none of them appeared to be blown that they were fine? Because I have had instances where a fuse appeared fine but was actually bad. (The fuse that controlled my one-touch power windows and power steering on my Z did this - looked perfect, but the problem went away when I replaced it.)
Old 11-12-2008, 03:13 PM
Tough Guy

Originally Posted by 280zx2by2
well with 300 posts you probly know that there is a section for non Z related cars https://www.zdriver.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=223 but....

i hate to ask but did you check all the acc fuses? if they are blown thats not your problem but its is a start... also im not a jeep expert but there should be a wiring harness for the acc. check to see if its making a good connection

but there may be a separate fuse in the engine bay that works for all of the acc

GL i hate electrical problems

Yeah i know about that one, i just wanted some help asap.

As far as the fuses, they looked fine and i swapped them out just to make sure and its still the same issue.

Its just a strange thing because alot of the time with something like the clock not working, from my experience, the cigarette lighter wont work either.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:59 PM

I agree with Z lover4life I had the same experience thay may look good but they are not. Also jeeps have always been ....well they......Hmm .... they have parts from every body.
Mayitin
Old 11-12-2008, 07:35 PM
Mr. Fancy Connectors

Wiggle your headlight switch. Its hooked into all of those systems. I just had to deal with mine having pretty much the same issue.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:44 PM
Tough Guy

Originally Posted by Mhinrichs
Wiggle your headlight switch. Its hooked into all of those systems. I just had to deal with mine having pretty much the same issue.

Yeah I read it might need a switch.

I just cant ride around with no beats.

These cars are weird. This is my second one, I just it as a winter beater, but theres always something weird with them. Extra wires here or there. Everything is torx head, i dont get it. Solid trucks though. My last one had 210k on it and it was still running really well when i got rid of it.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:15 PM
Mr. Fancy Connectors

Originally Posted by domsgarage
Yeah I read it might need a switch.

I just cant ride around with no beats.

These cars are weird. This is my second one, I just it as a winter beater, but theres always something weird with them. Extra wires here or there. Everything is torx head, i dont get it. Solid trucks though. My last one had 210k on it and it was still running really well when i got rid of it.

16 bucks for a new switch. Easy enough to get to. I just traded mine for a bike. LOL at the beginning of winter.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:26 AM
Hoov for Pres!

Seems like an odd problem. Normally when you have multiple things go out, it's easier to find the problem through the common denomonator.
But... The only common denominator I see is the ignition switch.

You have 3 colors of wire coming from the ignition switch to the fuse block.
Those are Yellow, Orange, and Brown.
Yellow goes to the fuse labeled *gauge*. Through the fuse it powers the gauge cluster, and radio memory, and cruise control if equipped. If there was a loss of power before the fuse, either in the ignition switch or the yellow wire, you would also have a loss of electricity to back up lights if manual, and gear select switch if auto. So, if you have backup lights, then you lost power at the fuse, or the wht-t colored wires going to the radio mem (radio clock) and cluster.

At the Orange wire from the ignition switch, it travels to the same fuse group to a fuse labeled *clock* and *power window*. Self explanatory.

The third color is Brown. It branches three ways from the ignition switch. First off to the horn relay. The two ways into the fuse box.
One powers three fuses labeled *RR WIPE*, *BLOWER*, *RADIO*... Interestingly enough, on the diagram it shows that the radio fuse powers the cig lighter and washer fluid level switch. Makes no mention to radio. Typo? I don't know. Wish I did. Again, if it were the switch, you would lose power to all of those fuses. So, no power to cig lighter, wipers, blinkers, A?C and heat..

I don't think it is the switch. I think you have some corrosion in connectors, bad fuses, or someone was messing with wires they shouldn't have. Time to call the PO?

I would suggest getting comfortable with a multi meter. It will help you track down your loss of power. Even an old lightbulb circuit tester could help you here.

Hope that helps some. I would not trust the diagram shown too far. You will have to have a look see yourself most of the time. But, they should give you some general directions.

Common for PO's to take the cool radio they installed out, and jam the old one back in place to sell the vehicle. I am thinking it's something like that.

Good luck.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:28 PM
Tough Guy

It turns out its the dimmer switch. It wont dim, and honestly, i could care less.

As long as I keep it at full brightness, its tit city all the way.

The radio is another thing though..
Old 11-20-2008, 06:39 PM
Hoov for Pres!

Yeah, like I said, it has to be another problem. Good luck.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:13 PM
The Good Twin

Dom... fix your email already!!!
Old 11-21-2008, 06:25 AM
Tough Guy

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Dom... fix your email already!!!

uhhh..... sorry...

Im just going to hook the radio up to the battery.

Theres other issues I need to focus on to (ball joints mainly, and something else)
Old 11-21-2008, 06:26 AM
Tough Guy

I havent used that email in at least 5 years.

changed.