300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Please Help! crazy clutch issues!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 03:39 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Only Chuck Norris can count high enough to keep track of how often I've been correct.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:53 PM
Pr0n Addict

lol how do you sleep at night knowing that you're never wrong?
Old 03-09-2009, 04:03 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

I'm occasionally wrong. But it's easy to rarely be wrong when you live by the first philosophical imperative... "don't speak about things of which you have no knowledge." If you only talk about things you know about, you only make true statements.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:26 PM

^shut up ive never seen you be wrong anywhere lol

except about single exhausts
Old 03-09-2009, 04:32 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

LOL. Welcome to ZDriver! (Though you've been here since October...)

We'll save the single exhaust discussion for if Joe brings it up.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:36 PM

lol yea im always around reading but never posting on here.....this sites great for parts for my car since noone in chicago but me owns a 280zx lol
Old 03-09-2009, 05:47 PM
Pr0n Addict

i've got it all apart right now and am not seeing any problems. i don't get it. everything looks just fine. it must be that one of the clutch parts is out of spec. i'd guess the pressure plate. when it's on there, the forks look pretty much flat, opposed to the cone that they form when the pressure plate is not attatched. is that normal? or should they point back/ out a little?
Old 03-09-2009, 06:10 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

take pics, I don't remember
Old 03-09-2009, 06:29 PM
Über User

i said the same thing as randy, and made predictions lol,

oh also dts130, im in chicagoland and have S130/s30 parts out the *** so idk what your talking about. haha.

also, they are supposed to be flat the fingers on the pressure plate when the clutch is new, just means there is pressure on the disk. are you SURE SURE SURE the disk is in the right way? and the fork hadnt fallen off the pivot ball right? are you SURE SURE SURE!

Last edited by snwbrderphat540; 03-09-2009 at 06:32 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:59 PM
Pr0n Addict

yep! sure sure sure about all that!

are you sure sure about flat fingers?
Old 03-09-2009, 07:04 PM
Pr0n Addict

taken from the side when under the car. can't see any fingers like in the second picture from the same angle.

from the side of the old clutch on the bench. notice the teeth all pointing out

another of the new clutch in the car
Old 03-09-2009, 07:12 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

pics inside the front end of the trans?
Old 03-09-2009, 07:16 PM
Über User

you aren't leaking clutch fluid anywhere are you? is the level in the resevoir the same level? cause you know if the master goes out it can leak inside the firewall and leave no traces of fluid on the floor and such, hard to notice unless you look for it. its that or you did something wrong.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:37 PM
Pr0n Addict

i don't think it's leaking anywhere. i now have a new slave, new master, and new hose. it's good in that aspect.

what do you mean inside the front end of the trans? i already got the tranny out. only took about 4 hours! it was quick.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:56 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

What do you mean what do I mean? I mean I want pics of the inside of the trans because I think that's where the problem might be. Clutch looks installed properly, so if the hydraulics are maintaining pressure, that's the last place to look.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:04 PM
Pr0n Addict

oh i see. you were asking for another picture. well i already checked all that out and it was all almost perfect. i had the one spring that holds the arm onto the ball hinge in slightly wrong, but i'm sure that wasn't causing a problem to the extent that i had it.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:39 AM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

If the fork and everything in the bell housing is fine, then it MUST be hydraulic (hence why I asked for pics). Since I assume you were thorough with checking the hydraulic system, that only leaves something wrong in the bell housing.

I don't think you ever answered my question about the fluid level (and I'm too lazy and in a hurry to look through this thread again), but when you pumped the clutch trying to build pressure, did the fluid level stay the same or did it drop? If it dropped, you have a leak somewhere (I also don't think you answered my question about finding fluid on the ground). If it stayed the same, it must be related to the assembly of the system. And the fact that you were able to move the fork by hand (though you never posted the requested pics of how much it moves) suggests it was assembled poorly - I've said it before, that shouldn't move beyond wiggling a little.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:48 PM
Über User

you take bad close up pictures to.... haha, still waiting for the pics!!!!! also, you SURE the spring side is out on the clutch disc? prove it!
Old 03-10-2009, 05:23 PM
Pr0n Addict

i've proven to myself that the disk isn't upside down.

zlover, i've never been disappointed in you until now. if you'd mentioned the bit about the level dropping, it may have saved me dropping the tranny again! the level dropped a lot every time the peddle is pushed. but, after the peddle stopped being pumped, the level would rise again. i guess this means air? what is to be said of getting rid of the upper hose of the clutch? i'm sick of all this trouble with getting the stuff bled.

i checked all the mechanisms and everything is in there just fine. so, either the problem is still hydraulic, or the pressure plate is too out of spec.

so, we can say that the problem is hydraulic, but it still stands that when in its natural position, the fork, where it comes out of the bell housing, sits in the very middle of the opening. then, it is able to be pushed by hand for a centimeter or so, then it finally gets tight. so, when the fork gets pushed all the way to the back of the opening, is it going to all the way disengaged?

of course there was fluid on the floor! i've been bleeding and bleeding! but i have not found any leaks anywhere. i feel confident that the problem does not stem from a leak.

i've been calling exedy all day to see if anything like this was common with their clutches. i called about 5 times and was never able to get anyone. i'm really worried that the pressure plate is just wrong.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:53 PM
Über User

we kinda had enough faith in you to think you werent retarded enough to mess up bleeding the clutch 50 times in a row.....
Old 03-10-2009, 06:17 PM
Pr0n Addict

it looks like i am. i've just bled and bled it and apparently not been able to get all the air out. it's just stupid difficult, or there is something wrong. i've bled a lot of clutches, and brakes, including this one, and never had that much trouble with it.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:22 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

What's there to be disappointed in me for? You're the one who didn't answer all my questions in my attempt to help you. lol And it's not a conclusive hydraulic issue if the level is rising back to normal after letting off the clutch. When you press the clutch, the fluid should drop a little as it's being forced into the system. When you let off, it should rise back to normal because the fluid is no longer being pushed into the lines. So if it's rising back to normal, it's not hydraulic and thus you probably did need to drop the trans. (There'd be a leak somewhere if the fluid would go down and never come back up.)

Yes, the fork does wiggle a little and it'll move at least an inch when the clutch is engaged. There's a reason I wanted to see how much it was moving, but you never showed me. I may have asked you from there to have someone push the pedal while you were under there to see how far the slave cylinder was pushing the fork... but I still want more pics.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:45 PM
Pr0n Addict

yeah i have been watching under there and the fork has gotten about an inch of travel. i don't really have any way to get a vid of it.

the tranny is already out lol. i mentioned that a few posts ago.

so, where in the opening in the bell housing should the fork rest? about in the middle? closer to the front?

i figured out why it was moving and i was able to push it by hand. a little spring issue. that one that holds the fork onto the ball was on a little wrong. so that takes out a little of my worries. so, consider that the fork has no more play, but, it sits in a natural position about half way or slightly forward of half way in the hole. is that correct? i wish i could find a picture of it
Old 03-10-2009, 08:48 PM
Pr0n Addict

http://rauto.net/Motorcycle/300zx/z124.JPG

the one in this very dirty car sits right in the middle. i'm an idiot. i'm putting it back together and bleeding it for a few hours tomorrow. it will work. all this because i'm stupid. sigh. at least i'm an f-ing master at dropping a tranny now. seriously, 4 hours or less last time.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:59 PM
Über User

i could drop the tranny and pull the motor in my S30 in an hour. dont feel to proud. lol. also, I TOLD YOU... sorta, how the hell do you put a fork on wrong? get a picture of how you got it on right now the fork and how it sits in the tranny before you put it up, lets see this crap.

Quick Reply: Please Help! crazy clutch issues!