300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

POP Charger Installation

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 06:21 PM

POP Charger Installation

Just started the installation, thought I'd be done in an hour, but maybe not. A couple of questions:
1 - all the pics I have seen show the rippled plastic part (the one the tip of the cone filter eventually screws onto) like it tilts downwards. Mine is horizontal. I suppose it's horizontal and that the pics are usually taken at an odd angle making the ripple plastic piece look tilted. Correct?

2 - It also looks like the length of POP+AFM will not fit in there? I suppose it'll fit, but it'll be close.

3 - How do I take out the bottom piece of the airbox - those two hidden screws behind the front bumper - without going under the car? I can feel an opening under the car, but I want to have this done so bad tonight. Otherwise, I'll lift the front tomorrow for easier access from under the front bumpers. In any case, it'll be done along with the HID mods.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:08 PM
Über User

for shame. noob. for shame. havent i pointed you to the tt.net FAQ/tech pages quite a bit by now?

http://twinturbo.net/ttnettech/pop/pop.html
Old 02-17-2008, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
for shame. noob. for shame. havent i pointed you to the tt.net FAQ/tech pages quite a bit by now?

http://twinturbo.net/ttnettech/pop/pop.html
I printed that FAQ when I started. I guess I have to be patient with the screws. I'll get them eventually!!!
Old 02-18-2008, 07:40 AM
Über User

haha, cool you did bookmark that stuff like me then (actually i just memorized where to find it all, pretty simple) well, yeah try different angles if it comes down to it, as far as i know there is no magic trick to it
Old 02-18-2008, 09:37 AM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

The splash shield is tilted. When it's installed properly, the intake will angle down at about 45 degrees or so (probably a little more)... and the splash guard screws into the top of the filter, which is perpendicular to the filter, so thus, the splash shield must be angled down at about 45 degrees (probably a little less) in the opposite direction.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by ZLover4Life
The splash shield is tilted. When it's installed properly, the intake will angle down at about 45 degrees or so (probably a little more)... and the splash guard screws into the top of the filter, which is perpendicular to the filter, so thus, the splash shield must be angled down at about 45 degrees (probably a little less) in the opposite direction.
So, is the flashguard tilted from birth or will it be tilted as a consequence of the POP charger installation?
Old 02-18-2008, 04:27 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

I wish I could tell you for sure... I haven't seen a stock airbox in about 7 years now. lol

But either way, it'll get into the position it needs to fairly easily (it's flimsy).
Old 02-19-2008, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by ZLover4Life
I wish I could tell you for sure... I haven't seen a stock airbox in about 7 years now. lol

But either way, it'll get into the position it needs to fairly easily (it's flimsy).
Not to worry, it's fine with me as long as it maintains the right position without breaking or cracking. Thanks.

BTW, I had to quickly put it all back together Sunday night because of an "emergncy" my daughter had and I needed to drive the Z. At this point, I'll just wait 'till some very nice weather comes in so I can spend the time outdoors doing this thing. Thanks again.