300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Question on Cone Air Filter Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 08:47 PM

Question on Cone Air Filter Issue

I read that with a POP charger installed, the Z32 may shut down at highway speeds if one lifts off the accelerator completely while pressing down on the clutch - or something like that. Is this still true and if so, is there a solution from the cone filter manufacturers? This is one of the mods I'm currently considering for my neused TT. I'd like some xpert opinions on this. Thanks.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:21 PM
Über User

yes its true, yes theres a solution. its been discussed ALOT. it was solved by blocking the front of the filter or some crap. remember that link page i posted for you for FAQ on tt.net the write up is in there.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:36 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

The ghetto solution is to put a piece of duct tape on the bottom of the cone (the problem is caused by turbulence in the intake giving the MAS a bad reading).
http://www.twinturbo.net/ttnetfaq/FAQpages/stall.html

The proper solution is to mount the splash shield properly - the bottom of the splash shield should meet the edge of the pop charger. If the problem continues after that, you have deeper electrical issues (probably the IACV).

And please learn how to search.

Last edited by ZLover4Life; 01-26-2008 at 09:43 PM.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:58 PM

Yeah, I read that. But that's a bizzare fix - why buy a high flow filter just to cover potions of it???? I have to research this some more. But if the problem is disturbed air flow to the MAF, then allow me to splurge some here, please. Thanks.

From pure CFD and my little knowledge about he Z32, somehow, the cone filter needs to be relocated to mimic the airflow to the OEM filters. Not having looked at the OEM filter air flow patters, when a cone filter is installed as a bolt on (nothing changed from the OEM flow pattern) I suspect that the cone filters create a "dead zone" under the cone, at an area between the cone filter and where the air would contact the OEM filters. Imagine an air molecule moving towards the OEM filter and the cone filter. That air molecule will basically have to make a 180 degree turn and travel in reverse to get to the cone filter. This is because, the effective contact area for a direct bolt-on cone is more forward (more towards the front bumper) compared with that for the OEM filters. I don't know if these have been researched /discussed before or not. But I see two possible solutions:

1 - Redirect air to the cones by cutting out a new flow entry pattern to the cones, probably introducing a new opening through that plastic protective piece under the motor (but this creates a debris suction problem). That pattern will have to be such that the air into the cones is nearly dead center or slightly above center. That's the hard solution, and not the preferred one in my opinion.

2 - Move the cone filter further back. In fact, move it as far back as possible to the location of the OEM filters. From what I saw today when I looked at the filter arrangement, this will require rotating the "T" hose that holds the AFM counterclockwise so the cone would move away from the bumper towards the general area of the OEM filters. That way, the cone filters would see almost the same amount of air density as the OEMs.

Sounds very technical, but I will try this when I get my cones. Again, I stress that my thinking here is based on the assumption that the problem is due to disturbed flow to the MAF. If it's not that (and I don't see why it wouldn't), then I have no idea what's going on!!!!

Everyone, forgive me for the lengthy runaround, but if this is a problem with the cone upgrade, there has to be a solution more elegant than putting a piece of tape on the high flow filter, thus reducing the amount of air into the system, which is counter to why the filter was installed in the first place!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Darkmann; 01-26-2008 at 10:06 PM.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:39 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

I got partially through your first big paragraph and realized you don't know ANYTHING about how the intake on the Z32 is setup. The important thing you need to know is that the stock filter and the cone filter are not drawing air from the same place. The cone draws it from the nose panel, the stock filter draws air from underneath the headlights (lots of real great airflow there... right?). The cone filter does not, in any way, need to mimic the OEM filter (what's your take on cold air intakes that completely change the intake arrangement on most cars?)... an intakes ONLY job is to suck in clean air... aftermarket ones do that better than stock (there's no arguing the data available... about 15rwhp gains on TT's over stock).

I then read your last paragraph and got the impression you didn't read a damn thing I said. The problem is not with the cone filter. The tape fix is the ghetto fix... it's not how it's supposed to be done, but it works. The proper fix is to mount the OEM splash shield exactly how it's supposed to be mounted. And if that doesn't fix it, the problem is not being caused by a bad MAS reading.

By the way... a pop charger with the tape on it will STILL outflow the stock intake. In fact, a JWT Pop Charger with the tape will still probably perform better than any other aftermarket intake available... that's how little of an effect it has.

Last edited by ZLover4Life; 01-26-2008 at 10:51 PM.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:42 PM

OK, niw let's see if I can follow you step for step!!!

Originally Posted by ZLover4Life
I got partially through your first big paragraph and realized you don't know ANYTHING about how the intake on the Z32 is setup. ...
Of course I'm new to the Z32, never studied it and don't claim to know anything about it other than how to drive it, and that's enough headache.

The important thing you need to know is that the stock filter and the cone filter are not drawing air from the same place. The cone draws it from the nose panel, the stock filter draws air from underneath the headlights (lots of real great airflow there... right?).
Well, I need to know a lot more than just the airflow thing. Don't you agree??? I want to DRIVE this car and drive it correctly!!!

The cone filter does not, in any way, need to mimic the OEM filter (what's your take on cold air intakes that completely change the intake arrangement on most cars?)... an intakes ONLY job is to suck in clean air...
Well my good friend, hold it right there. There is a problem here!!!! I'm sure there are a few here and elsewhere who installed cone filters correctly, following all stated instructions and still had problems. As far as I'm concerned, if the cone systems distribute flow such that the MAF is disturned, there's a problem. They have to send similar info to the MAF as the OEM filter does otherwise there's a problem + or - some tolerance, of course. That much I do know. The MAF is a flow rate sensor. You blow that flow rate and something else has to compensate, otherwise there'll be a problem. I know nothing about cols air intakes!!! I promise to read about them though.

...aftermarket ones do that better than stock (there's no arguing the data available... about 15rwhp gains on TT's over stock).
Compltely agreed, but only if installed correctly.

I then read your last paragraph and got the impression you didn't read a damn thing I said. The problem is not with the cone filter.
I read your post and I agree that the problem is not with the POP charger itself. However, most people install these as drop-ins, and looking at the OEM air filter set up, to get a POP charger to the bottom of the splash guard like you prescribe you will have to tilt it counterclockwise like I mentioned. It seems like you may have just confirmed my suspicions. Thanks, but feel free to correct me!!!!

[
The tape fix is the ghetto fix... it's not how it's supposed to be done, but it works...
Yeah, but you know as well as I do that ghetto fixes aren't fixes. They are just a very lazy way to bypass a problem!!!

The proper fix is to mount the OEM splash shield exactly how it's supposed to be mounted. And if that doesn't fix it, the problem is not being caused by a bad MAS reading.
I haven't done a poll on this, but do you really believe that people who have had this problem have mounted their splash shield differently than the way it came with the car? I admit to not knowing much about these cars, but why would someone want to relocate the splash shield (one of the primary undercrriage airflow components) during a cone filter installation? These things are supposed to be a drop-in DIY. Am I missing something here???

By the way... a pop charger with the tape on it will STILL outflow the stock intake. In fact, a JWT Pop Charger with the tape will still probably perform better than any other aftermarket intake available... that's how little of an effect it has.
Yeah, so I'm a perfectionist. I just don't see the logic in spending money on a system that'll increase airflow, then end up limiting some of that airflow (and we know we need all the airflow we can get!!!!!!!!) just becasue I don't know why I almost caused a major traffic incident on I-95. Get my point??? Like you said, it's a ghetto fix and if the manufacturers of these devices know about this issue they are obligated to provide a solution to their customers. I don't have one of these devices yet, so I can't say whether or not they provide remedies to users, or whether we're all so wired up that we can't install according to manufacturer's spec'd instructions, I don't know!!!!! But if they don't provide us adequate info, and we insist on using these wonderful devices, then, somehow, we have to make sure we don't cause an I95 issue!!!!

Would you please point me to relocattinng the splash shield? Thanks. If thats's the solution, then problem solved and I hope we all would adopt it.

Last edited by Darkmann; 01-26-2008 at 11:59 PM.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:24 AM
Pr0n Addict

are you talking about the I-95 on the east coast? where are you? there is no one from over here on this forum.

and this problem has been discussed a bit. i don't know if you tried searching, but zcar.com has a few threads on it, considering their search engine is working at the moment...

but you may be able to find results from someone in your place
Old 01-27-2008, 06:55 AM

I'm north of you - Salisbury, MD, and I-95 just came to mind since I cruise that interstate quite a bit. I probably should have done some more searching. I was just wondering out last night and the first thing I read was this idea of taping the cone to solve the problem. That ides just seemed "ghetto" and so I started posting.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:46 AM
General Z User

I have the JWT filter on my Z and had no issues...

because I have the splash shield properly installed on the filter.

You'd be surprised how many ghetto rigged z32s are out there missing parts
Old 01-27-2008, 08:03 AM
Pr0n Addict

i have family in or very close to salisbury. that's crazy. you ought to join my train of britsh and jap cars up to the import/kit car show in carlisle pennsyvania. it is one awesome show. and i'm trying to get more z's there. there are usually about 10 total, and only 2 or 3 Z32's
Old 01-27-2008, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by willkrom1990
i have family in or very close to salisbury. that's crazy. you ought to join my train of britsh and jap cars up to the import/kit car show in carlisle pennsyvania. it is one awesome show. and i'm trying to get more z's there. there are usually about 10 total, and only 2 or 3 Z32's
Send me some more info on the meet. I would like to join you guys.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Barry'Z(NJ)
I have the JWT filter on my Z and had no issues...

because I have the splash shield properly installed on the filter.

You'd be surprised how many ghetto rigged z32s are out there missing parts
Is the splash shield you refer to part of the filter? If it is, then I owe ZLover4Life an apology. What I call splash shield is the engine plastic undercover piece. That's why I couldn't understand why one would have to mess wuth that in the first place, since it's always there and it's not exactly a high precision installation. ZLover4Life, my bad and I owe you one. I now completely understand your point.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:01 AM
Pr0n Addict

may 16-18 in carlisle pennsylvania. it's not very far into the state, so maybe about a 3-4 hour drive for you. we live 5-7 hours away, depending on how many british cars break down, so we get a hotel room for one night. it's a HUGE show. if you have an older z, then there are lots of parts vendors for it. but there isn't much for the newer z's other then the "fun show", or noncompetitive area (which has upwards of 600 cars for a basic estimate). it's tons of fun and you can meet our group on the way up if you want. i don't know if i'll be in the Z. i'll probably ride with my dad in the TR6.

http://www.carsatcarlisle.com/import/index.asp
i was going to make a thread about it closer to the time. but here it is
Old 01-27-2008, 06:22 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Yeah, I'm not talking about the plastic panels that connect to the bottom of the fascia - there's a different splash shield just for the intake.

This link details how to set up the splash shield properly.
http://www.twinturbo.net/net/viewmsg...orum=technical