300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

rb26dett swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 07:51 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Ratfink - you disagree a lot, but I have yet to see you post anything really brilliant.

KasbeKZ - you agree with everyone.

Nobody can tell him how difficult it is because nobody knows how good he is with mechanical work. Want my answer? TT swaps are easy. I can get them done in a week... two at tops (provided I have the front clip and assuming I'm working on it in my free time). Relevant? I doubt it... he is not as experienced with the Z32 as I am. I can pull a TT engine by myself in a few hours... he probably can't.

If he is mechanically inclined, he'll know what needs to be done. He'll see a part that needs to be removed and he'll have a good idea of how to remove it. Same with installing parts. When reassembling everything, he'll know what vacuum lines have to go where. He's also know which parts from the TT are required for a conversion (recirculation valves, intercoolers, etc).

And if he is mechanically inclined, that probably means he has experience with evasive procedures. If he has that kind of experience, he'd know that it's pointless to ask other people - he'd get the clip and get to work. Since he had to ask, he probably lacks experience and it's not going to be an easy task. Thus my response, "if you have to ask these kinds of questions, then you are in no position to swap anything."

Can an amateur get it done? Yes. I was an amateur once. Everyone's an amateur at some point. But you're not going to become an expert by asking questions. You become one by simply going at it. Experience prevails.

Last edited by ZLover4Life; 12-14-2008 at 07:57 PM.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:55 PM
Über User

Originally Posted by ZLover4Life
Ratfink - you disagree a lot, but I have yet to see you post anything really brilliant.

KasbeKZ - you agree with everyone.

Nobody can tell him how difficult it is because nobody knows how good he is with mechanical work. Want my answer? TT swaps are easy. I can get them done in a week... two at tops (provided I have the front clip and assuming I'm working on it in my free time). Relevant? I doubt it... he is not as experienced with the Z32 as I am. I can pull a TT engine by myself in a few hours... he probably can't.

If he is mechanically inclined, he'll know what needs to be done. He'll see a part that needs to be removed and he'll have a good idea of how to remove it. Same with installing parts. When reassembling everything, he'll know what vacuum lines have to go where.

And if he is mechanically inclined, that probably means he has experience with evasive procedures. If he has that kind of experience, he'd know that it's pointless to ask other people - he'd get the clip and get to work. Since he had to ask, he probably lacks experience and it's not going to be an easy task. Thus my response, "if you have to ask these kinds of questions, then you are in no position to swap anything."

Can an amateur get it done? Yes. I was an amateur once. Everyone's an amateur at some point. But you're not going to become an expert by asking questions. You become one by simply going at it. Experience prevails.
haha.... that was probably the most optimistic post i have ever seen from you.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:02 PM
F5 Hero

Originally Posted by ZLover4Life
TT swaps are easy. I can get them done in a week... two at tops (provided I have the front clip and assuming I'm working on it in my free time). Relevant? I doubt it... he is not as experienced with the Z32 as I am. I can pull a TT engine by myself in a few hours... he probably can't.
feel free to come live at my house, eat my food, stop up my toilet, and as freak show from harold and kumar 1 says "F**K my wife", (she sure isn't gettin it with me) and help me with mine then!

In all seriousness, some of the local Z car club member are helping me with mine, one inparticular who helps all the time, everytime we take something off, he says "there's no way were going to get this back on your car", and we laugh, because it's funny. Honestly, just do it, and if you get stuck, THEN ask.

The only thing holding me up right now is A. time, and B. taking the intake piping off for the intercoolers. Why, because I have an NA, and i'm not quite sure how the TT piping runs, there's 4 extra main hoses. But i've studied it and learned.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:46 PM
Haterade by da gallon!

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
stock block is rumored to be good for 700hp. i think the average Z enthusiast will be happy with 500 for a goal
wow like kaz didnt JUST say that, i think your a reposter
Old 12-22-2008, 12:57 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Originally Posted by napoleonzheking
i'm not quite sure how the TT piping runs
I hope you appreciate my presence on this forum.

Old 12-24-2008, 06:55 PM

I certainly do...and not just for the knowledge, but also for the entertainment value.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:39 PM
Pr0n Addict

the stock routing doesn't let the drivers side turbo power the passengers side intake and visa versa? is that just in upgraded systems? your intercooler write up made it sound like they were like that stock.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:42 PM

The crossover is made at the intake manifold. It does not cross before the throttle bodies in any setup, OEM or aftermarket.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:45 PM
Pr0n Addict

oh oh i see. not thinking far enough into it lol. thanks.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:45 PM
caught the z fever

now that is an absolutely amazing picture.

right click, save as...
Old 12-24-2008, 10:03 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Originally Posted by 91zxtt
The crossover is made at the intake manifold. It does not cross before the throttle bodies in any setup, OEM or aftermarket.
2nd. And part of the downfall of the Apollo FMIC (and several others) is that they cross the air to the opposite side, thus negating the cross-flow manifold. (And while there are several who argue the benefits of this type of arrangement, the smaller overall size of the Apollo - as detailed in my writeup - certainly provides more evidence that Apollo FMIC's weren't designed with optimum performance in mind.)
Old 12-26-2008, 02:48 AM
F5 Hero

Thanks Zlover

Thanks Zlover.. pic saved. excellent documentation for when I bolt all this crap back in the slicktop.

The parts i'm having problems with are circled in red, and the long piping that mounts up by the radiator (on driver side, above headlight on passenger side on the top cross beam) circled in green. mainly parts circled in red are just a pita to mess with and get to.

also, on the IC's which is inlet, and which is outlet. thanks in advance.

Old 12-26-2008, 07:13 PM
caught the z fever

inside is from turbo, outside goes to throttle body
Old 12-26-2008, 11:42 PM
F5 Hero

after looking at it since you mention it, it's obvious. btw. I need the low pressure according pipes if anyone has any extra for sale. drivers side only but will buy both if needed.