300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Resonators Or Not???

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 07:36 PM

Resonators Or Not???

I'm going with the Greg Dupree test pipes (DP's also) and you can get them with or without the Resonators. I know that they quiet your car but don't know how much. I don't want it to be too loud (in a bad way), Meaning you can put Flowmaster or Borla etc. on a new Corvette and it sounds great (louder is not alway better with Japanese cars). I plan to bring my car up to 400WRHP and I'm also getting the HKS SSQV so if this helps could you please give me your opinions
Old 02-23-2005, 07:41 PM
Jack Of All Trades

If you're worried about the exhaust being too loud, why would you go with the ssqv bov? Aren't they like the loudest bov?
Old 02-23-2005, 09:03 PM

You're missing my point, I like good sound and I realize that when you have a car that has 400hp it's going to be lounder than your average car. Although this is my second Z (no high performance parts on 1st one) I really have no knowledge of what it's going to sound like and the Japanese cars that I do see on the road that are loud are Civics and that deffinately isn't the lound sound that I'm looking for. This is why I explained about loud being good on a Corvette with Borla exhaust, but that car doesn't wake up the whole damn neighborhood either.
Old 02-24-2005, 09:50 AM

A 6Cylinder is never going to sound like a Civic, so don't worry about that. I have resonators on my Z and it sounds pretty good. It's loud enough to turn heads and it's deep but not loud enough to upset anyone. I got it from Specialty Z though, it's a Labree exhaust.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:10 AM

Thanks, that's where I plan to go for the Greg Dupree Down/test pipes (Specialty Z).
Old 02-24-2005, 10:25 AM
caught the z fever

ive heard many 6 cylinder cars that sound like hondas....

a TT will not be as loud as an N/A, and my sebring cat-back with resonators isnt too loud. but id probably put them on anyways
Old 02-24-2005, 12:21 PM
Loves The Asian Chicks

ive got the Labree exhaust system as well with resonators, its loud, deep and not at all ricey
Old 02-24-2005, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by b300z
ive heard many 6 cylinder cars that sound like hondas....
Maybe I'm just too young. I haven't heard a 6 sound like I riled nest of bees though. It's all good we're in the right cars, huh.
Old 02-25-2005, 08:32 AM
Southern Speedster

NA's have volume problems with aftermarket systems. Greg's are very straight and hence a bit louder. TT's have a natural baffling effect due to the turbo's so resonators are not as critical as NA's. I expect that you would be pleased either way, but if this is a daily driver, you may want to go with the resonators.

(Keep in mind that keeping a car "quiet" and hotting it up to over 400HP is somewhat anthithetical.)

BTW - The resonators that Greg uses will help curb the raspiness which is what most folks are actually complaining about when they make references to Civic and ricers.
Old 02-25-2005, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by lightspeed
NA's have volume problems with aftermarket systems. Greg's are very straight and hence a bit louder. TT's have a natural baffling effect due to the turbo's so resonators are not as critical as NA's. I expect that you would be pleased either way, but if this is a daily driver, you may want to go with the resonators.

(Keep in mind that keeping a car "quiet" and hotting it up to over 400HP is somewhat anthithetical.)

BTW - The resonators that Greg uses will help curb the raspiness which is what most folks are actually complaining about when they make references to Civic and ricers.
Thank you, after getting opinions for you guys here and many e-mails to Ash I'm going with the resonators.

Thanks guys!
Old 02-25-2005, 08:20 PM

I wouldn't. I have Specialty Z's downpipes and mid-pipes (w/hi-flow cats) and the Stillen Cat-Back. It's not loud at all. Nice low growl at idle with an aggressive, yet responsible tone. I kinda disappointed that ASH would recommend resonators on a TT. They're not necessary. I don't even think my car is as loud as a stock N/A.
Old 02-26-2005, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by 91zxtt
I wouldn't. I have Specialty Z's downpipes and mid-pipes (w/hi-flow cats) and the Stillen Cat-Back. It's not loud at all. Nice low growl at idle with an aggressive, yet responsible tone. I kinda disappointed that ASH would recommend resonators on a TT. They're not necessary. I don't even think my car is as loud as a stock N/A.
Here is the Q&A

Q: IS NISMO THE ONLY COMPANY THAT MAKES INJECTORS FOR MY CAR OR IS THAT JUST THE BEST CHOICE. I WAS ALSO TOLD THAT I NEED (6) OF THEM IS THIS CORRECT.. ALSO I HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT RESONATORS, SHOULD I GO WITH OR WITHOUT THEM. I WANT MY CAR TO HAVE A GOOD SOUND BUT I DON'T WANT IT TO BE LOUD AN AGGRIVATING

A: Border also makes injectors, as well as power enterprises. Do a search for them and you should find some vendors with them. You will need 6 of them, yes. If you are wanting a reasonable exhaust note, I would stick with resonators – they dampen the raspyness of the exhaust note and quiet the entire sound a little.

Good luck!

-Ash

Please excuse the caps I'm not yelling I'm just use to typing this way.
Old 02-26-2005, 07:27 PM

Unless he didn't realize you have a TT; which he should have since an injector upgrade is uncommon in an N/A. If you go with the downpipes, midpipes w/hi-flow cats and the cat back system without resonators, you will not be disappointed. Raspy would never be a word I would use to describe how my exhaust sounds. I disagree with him.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by 91zxtt
Unless he didn't realize you have a TT; which he should have since an injector upgrade is uncommon in an N/A. If you go with the downpipes, midpipes w/hi-flow cats and the cat back system without resonators, you will not be disappointed. Raspy would never be a word I would use to describe how my exhaust sounds. I disagree with him.
He is aware that I have a TT, like I mention before I've sent him numberous emails about different things. I've had a '90 N/A before but this is my first turbo so I've asked alot of different people questions. BTW I do have the HKS Hiper Exhaust system ( the one that angles). I just got the full tune-up 60,000 mille at Superior Nissan (it was just as much as some Z machanic that I really did trust) and I had them put on the exhaust and the JWT pop charger. Here are my future mods give me you opinion: Ash ECU, Greddy Profec B Spec II, HKS SSQV Blowoff, Greg Dupree DP/Test pipes, RPS Clutch, Re-surface Flywheel (All Specialty-Z). 555cc Injectors, Then later: KYB AGX, Energy Suspension Brushings, Stillen Sway & Tower Bars, Stillen Intercooler.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:41 PM

Are you going to have the hi-flow cats on it, or just the test pipes? If you won't have any cats, then that combined with the HKS Hiper could get it to where it borders on raspy/annoying. Your call.
Old 02-28-2005, 09:39 PM

RIGHT NOW I JUST HAVE THE STOCK TEST PIPES AND DOWNS, EVERYTHING AFTER THAT IS THE HKS: http://www.hksusa.com/products/more.asp?id=715 THE GREG DUPREE DP/TEST PIPES I'M GETTING A LITTLE LATER. SO TO ANSWER YOU QUESTION THE ANSWER IS YES. THIS IS NOT MY Z BUT THIS GUY HAS THE SAME LOWER EXHAUST SYSTEM. http://www.hksusa.com/products/more.asp?id=715

PLEASE EXCUSE THE CAPS.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:11 PM
caught the z fever

how much of a difference would be seen between having-high flow cats or test pipes?

once you put resonators on there its only 50 bucks less than getting high-flow cats at specialtyz.
Old 03-01-2005, 06:33 PM

Not enough to make a difference.