300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Smoking Heavily

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 01:30 PM

Smoking Heavily

Hey guys I had a question to ask everybody. I do not have a PHD in 300ZX motors and I needed help with this one. MY fiance bought me a 1991 300ZX TT and I absolutely love it. She told me it was a project car and it is. I have it in storage now, until we move into our new house. I started it up yesterday and let the motor warm up for about 10min. I held the throttle for a bit and there was a lot white smoking coming out of the exhaust and when the motor was running there was smoke coming out of the back side of the motor near the turbos but I am not quite sure if it was the turbos. I understand it is a project car and I understand I will have to put some money into this car and I am willing to do that because I absolutely love Z32's. But I was wondering what could be some possible problems with that. Thanks a lot for all your help.
Old 11-08-2008, 03:55 PM
Über User

i have that same problem, i just cant seem to put down cigarettes?!?!?! i just keep smoking heavily!

in all seriousness though if your sure its white and an abnormal amount it sounds like it would be coolant. the turbos are connected in the coolant system so its possible thats where you saw smoke by them from a leak. i dont know if coolant can leak from the turbo's into the exhaust though. usually if your burning coolant it would be from the head gasket being blown. good way to check this is i believe there is a kit to test if theres any combustion material in the coolant via a test kit i guess you can get from an auto store. never seen it but have heard of it. you can also do a compression test on the cylinders.
Old 11-08-2008, 04:05 PM
Hoov for Pres!

If the turbos are to the point that coolant es escaping into the hot housing, then I would imagine that there are other seals in the turbo that are bad as well. It's possible. I deal with the problem at work often.

Easy thing to do.. Pull your plugs. What do they look like?
Also, possible that you have a slight exhaust leak making the engine smoke on the rear besides just out the tail pipe. A little harder to notice on a turbo engine where the pulses of exhaust are mixed and muffled.

The possibility of a head gasket is high. But, you will see some proof of that in the combustion chamber, and on your plugs.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:24 PM
Pr0n Addict

first thing to do, as said, is find exactly where that smoke is coming from. i'd expect that it's either coming from a hose going to a turbo, or right out of a head gasket. see if you can see any oil in the coolant. it just looks like little black specs.