300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Sparkless in Seattle...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 11:55 AM
Doesn't post much...

Sparkless in Seattle...

... 'Er, San Diego... Same difference right?

Anyway, as mentioned breifly in another thread... I got no sparkey on the Z32. I have juice to the ignition coil relay, but nothing to the coil packs. Searching didn't yield much here, so does anyone want to venture a guess? Or has anyone already "been there, done that"?

I cleaned all the contacts I could find (CAS, PTU Etc...). The PTU was replaced at some point under the 1990 Model recall... Anyone have a clue? There wasn't much going on around here, so I thought I would throw something out there.

Rod.
Old 03-06-2006, 11:59 AM
Jack Of All Trades

Maybe start with a continuity check on the PTU & CAS. Online FSM pages EC-178 & 179.

http://300zx-twinturbo.com/cgi-bin/m...ault&total=190
Old 03-06-2006, 03:31 PM
F5 Hero

Have any friends with a Z32 around? it's HIGHLY unlikely, but your coilpacks could of all simutanously gone out. Find a friend and get one of his, and put one of yours in his car see if yours gest spark in his car, and his gets spark in your car. San diego? I'll be there all summer long.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:34 PM
Doesn't post much...

Originally Posted by napoleonzheking
San diego? I'll be there all summer long.
There are far worse places to spend your summer...

Yeah, I would not think that all 6 coil packs would crap out at the same time. It ran sweet on the way home the night I bought it (except for overheating) and now, it's dead. I'm just to unfamiliar with the set up to know much

Rod.
Old 03-06-2006, 05:27 PM

First of all...and so forth

Do you have a security light which is in the on position? Make sure all the doors, hood, and hatch are closed to turn off the security light. But the alarm siren would go off so...

Have you checked the ECU codes?

It could be the CAS isn't working. Make sure the connection to the CAS are good. Clean the contacts on both the CAS and connector side before you go out and buy a new one. Though you said you did that.

Second to that usually the culprit in this case is the CAS or the PTU.

Last is to pull your plugs and check them. Gas soaked, melted ect.

My money is on the CAS though. And used is how much money? But from Japan I could get one for about $50 shipped.

Last edited by japanz; 03-06-2006 at 05:31 PM.
Old 03-06-2006, 06:59 PM
Doesn't post much...

The horn is cut... But I think we have determined now that the factory security won't disable spark... but it will keep it from cranking or engaging the starter (right???).

I ran the ECU codes and there were none (except for the "no trouble" code). I would hate to think at this point that the factory security system is the culprit after what I went through with all the security crap on this car already. I'm thinking CAS myself, but what are the chances it finally died once I got it home for the very first time. In typical Nissan form, it refused to leave me stranded somewhere. They always get you home before they die...

Rod.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:48 PM

A CAS is like anything...perpetual motion or murphy's law, as you wish but they can go anytime. I know a guy who went through 3 used ones in a matter of 3 months. Everytime he got home, too. Imagine. He bought 4 spares from me here in Japan just in case.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:09 PM
Doesn't post much...

OK, So I haven't had much time to mess with it but I had some thoughts and need a little input.

I ran ECU codes and got nothing. I changed the battery though which would have likely reset the computer.

My question is then, Since the car won't start... will the ECU even know weather the CAS or PTU are working or not? Or would it only get the code if it died in flight?

Otherwise, accroding to the ECU at this point, the CAS and PTU are working.

I still have no sparky (or at least not enough to start the car)

Would a bad chassis ground maybe cause a low enough spark to cause the no start? Maybe? (just reaching... sorry)

Any ideas anyone?

Rod.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by RodMoyes
OK, So I haven't had much time to mess with it but I had some thoughts and need a little input.

I ran ECU codes and got nothing. I changed the battery though which would have likely reset the computer.

My question is then, Since the car won't start... will the ECU even know weather the CAS or PTU are working or not? Or would it only get the code if it died in flight?

Otherwise, accroding to the ECU at this point, the CAS and PTU are working.

I still have no sparky (or at least not enough to start the car)

Would a bad chassis ground maybe cause a low enough spark to cause the no start? Maybe? (just reaching... sorry)

Any ideas anyone?

Rod.
<BR>Well, for one thing I know when I have my laptop connected up to the car, I get readings from the ECU before engaging the starter, with the ignition just in the on position... Im not sure if it would throw a code without starting though I doubt it. The only suggestion I would have it to take readings all along each path where anything affects the starter goes, and find where there is an incorrect signal, find the component or wire that has good input bad output and replace. Thats about all I can come up with
Old 03-23-2006, 12:17 PM
Doesn't post much...

I gave up! Threw in the towel. That car just needed more love and attention than I could give it. It's gone on to be in the arms of another .

I still want a Z32 badly, but this time, I'm going to hold out until I find a nice, all black TT that's is turn-key ready to rock! I'm not too concerened about the price... I just don't want to have to dick with it for 3 months before I can drive it.

The search is on!

Rod.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:43 PM
Über User

that blows...did you ever contact the previous owner about this problem? see if they ever had it or any ideas on what it could be from, who knows it couldve been a re-occuring thing the know how to solve.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:42 PM
Doesn't post much...

Nah, the previous owner had no clue. It's really all good though. It was going to take way too much work to get that car the way I wanted it to be anyways. I didn't lose anything on the deal either. It's almost like it never happened.

I really want a TT and I don't want to go through all of the drama of doing a swap. I'd prefer to just find a nice stock TT and go from there. I learned a lot of lessons from my 280ZX. The most important of which was that the better car you start with, the easier and cheaper it is to personalize it to your tastes. My 280ZX was a rolling POS when I bought it and I way over paid for it. It cost me a ton of money to restore it only to have it get stolen and trashed. I had to do most of the restoration on that car twice. I'll never come close to recovering my investment. I love the car and don't plan on selling it, but I could have saved myself a ton of time and money by starting out with a cleaner car.

Rod.