300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Stock turbo's

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 08:57 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

You asked at the perfect time, they're right next to me... LOL

6.75" L x 6.5" H x 2.25" D = 98.71875ci

Yeah, less than half of the smallest aftermarket option. Pics...

and further confirmation...
http://www.twinturbo.net/net/viewmsg...msg_id=1472141

And for the record, almost a year later and I'm still running strong on stock turbos @ 17psi (but I don't really beat on my car, so she actually sees 17psi of boost maybe once a week for one gear).

Last edited by ZLover4Life; 08-07-2006 at 09:07 PM.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:20 PM

Awesome, thatsk Zlover! Now I just have to see if I can find a pair of them on ebay ...

Btw, how do you calculate CFM of an intercooler? Is it a function of capacity? I would think CFM would be a more important number than capacity. Wouldn't you need to subtract the area of the fin sections to measure calculate capacity?

Not trying to bust on your method or anything Zlover, just curious (and probably slightly misinformed!).

Last edited by rxKaffee; 08-07-2006 at 09:39 PM.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:00 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

The cubic inch numbers provided aren't capacity... the capacity is much less because the air only flows where the horizontal lines in the intercooler are. As you stated, for capacity, I'd have to subtract the volume that is occupied by the fins.

I just use the cubic inch calculation to demonstrate the overall comparison of sizes. Looking at multiple sets of 3 numbers like HxWxD can confuse some people, so many people (like myself) will do that to show that the overall area of Arc and Stillen are larger than GReddy and HKS.

For example, if I were to say subject 1 is 10x14x12 and subject 2 is 11x13x12, would you know, off the top of your head, which is actually larger? Saying subject 1 is 1680ci and subject 2 is 1716ci clearly tells you that subject 2 is larger.

As for CFM, I'm not an engineer, so I really couldn't tell you how to calculate it. And CFM isn't necessarily the only important number in an intercooler. After all, a straight tube will flow more CFM than an intercooler with the same diameter inlet and outlet simply because the tube has less restriction. With intercoolers, pressure drop and efficiency are generally more important, especially considering that I know the CFM between models is generally close.

For what it's worth, all of the quality aftermarket sidemounts intercoolers (Arc, Stillen, GReddy, HKS) are comparable in terms of pressure drop and efficiency (and CFM), and that is why the overall size is so important.

And if you need a pair of stock intercoolers, I have a set for sale (2 sets actually, but I have a deal working on the ones I used for the measurements). I have Stillen side mounts on order from Coz, so when those get here, I'd be glad to sell you the stock intercoolers off my TT.

Last edited by ZLover4Life; 08-07-2006 at 10:07 PM.