300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Straight/test pipes

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 10:31 PM

Straight/test pipes

Jus wondering if anyone here is running a straight/test pipes or downpipes on their Z? Ive been looking around to buy some for free flow on my Z. I currently have an HKS Turbo exhaust and I wanted to add the straight/down pipe. Thanks for any responses.

Last edited by 300zxBoi; 03-30-2004 at 10:36 PM.
Old 03-31-2004, 07:41 AM

I have them on mine. They were already on it when I bought it, so I can't give any before/ after comparisons. They are supposed to free up 10-20WHP depending on your mods. Something else to look into are the divorced downpipes designed by Greg Dupree of SpecialtyZ and sold at www.czp.us, among other places. They make a noticable difference in spoolup versus gutted pre-cats and even traditional 1 pipe downpipes.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:12 AM

Since you're in CA, you'll need to keep the cats that are in the mid-pipe. Specialty Z sells test pipes with hi-flow cats that can be used to replace your existing cats. Without it, your car won't pass smog. As mentioned by boiler, they also sell downpipes that eliminate the precats. Eliminating the precats is ok since their primary function is for cold running. These are much better than just hollowing out the precats. I'll get the test pipes eventually. I have the downpipes, but I haven't installed them yet. You'll definitely increase echaust flow. I not sure what HP increase can be expected from the downpipes. The test pipes are estimated to give you 10-20 extra ponies.
Old 03-31-2004, 11:56 AM
Snazzy Title

I've gutted my downpipes and got a noticeable difference, also the sound is just great, the whiny jet sound is very noticeable.

Also a few tips on changing these out you gotta drop the exhaust, tranny, and then cut a few cheap wrenches in half to get some of the bolts, and well the bolts get hot and are probably rusted. If you have big clunky hands find one of your small friends to help you with it.

Buy a can of never seize, and something to let soak overnight to break the rust up, a wire brush to clean the studs afterards as well. I would also suggest finding a complete set of stainless steel studs and bolts for your exhaust. You'll thank yourself later when you have to take it back down cause you've forgotten or doing something else again

Originally Posted by 91zxtt
Since you're in CA, you'll need to keep the cats that are in the mid-pipe. Specialty Z sells test pipes with hi-flow cats that can be used to replace your existing cats. Without it, your car won't pass smog. As mentioned by boiler, they also sell downpipes that eliminate the precats. Eliminating the precats is ok since their primary function is for cold running. These are much better than just hollowing out the precats. I'll get the test pipes eventually. I have the downpipes, but I haven't installed them yet. You'll definitely increase echaust flow. I not sure what HP increase can be expected from the downpipes. The test pipes are estimated to give you 10-20 extra ponies.