300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

WARNING: do not purchase engine from...!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 08:47 PM
Old Polish Lady Lover

Location: Cheektowaga, NY...land of nothing but a mall and 10,000 old Polish ladies
WARNING: do not purchase engine from...!

So as 99% of you know, my TT swap was hell, and is still hell, more as of today...and i've been meaning to do a write up on my experiences with Z1Motorsports.com (a "highly respected," well known, big time distributor for new used and oem parts for the 300zx na and tt, 350z, and g35) for a while now, so here it is...

i was recommended to them a while ago, and since then, many horror stories have come about regarding their products, and i happened to be one of those horror stories.

Before purchasing anything from them, i did a **** load of homework and knew everything i would need just about, and went to them because they carried everything i needed, new aftermarket and OEM and used...i figured buying from them all at once, they would cut me a deal, and they did...they knocked about 200 or so off of my final price...and were also willing to take an additional 400 off of the price because i had no use for the auto tranny coming with the clip, so i told them i would sell it back to them...alright, nice guys, right? WRONG!

they assured me ahead of time and all of their motors, including JDM motors, are compression tested, run for hours, and leakdown tested...

they also told me that they have on average 60k miles on the motor or so...

we get the engine weeks later than expected due to problems with their shipping company, only to find this:

bone dry coolant lines, mostly full of debris and rust...so it couldnt have been run or leakdown tested...

cut....not broken, not torn, but cleanly cut, injector plugs...also proving it could not have been run, or at least not well and with all cylinders firing...

the engine harness was TRASH, i had to get a new one later down the road, another $365...and this is what finally got the engine running right, or as right as it could....6 months into the project...

one of the intercoolers had a hole in it, they sent a newer, in good shape used one with the engine, and they did tell me ahead of time that one had a hole and that the clip was coming with a newer intercooler, but still, if they ran the car, everything wouldnt have checked out ok with boost leaking out like a **** from that huge hole in the intercooler, about the size of a quarter...

newman did a compression test before the motor was in, and i just did one today, and the motor is beat to ****...

no milky oil, so it's unlikely that it's a head gasket...but damn were the numbers off...
i only got 4 of the cylinders done before i got too cold (no indoor garage space to work) and began to run out of light...but what i did read was about 120 to 125 psi for cylinders 1, 3, and 2...and about 102 psi for cylinder 5....4 and 6 i didnt even get to, nor did i care at that point...what i really dont get though is how could they all be low the same amount? can't be coincidence....i'm totally puzzled...

i talked to a friend with a tt zx and he said his motor was good with between 145 and 150psi across the board...

i really dont know what i'm gonna do, at this point i can not get rid of the car, i have too much into it, and can not afford to cut my losses, if i do put it up for sale, i will not get enough back for this car to buy myself something i can use for a few years ,and it wont be for at least 5 years that i will be able to afford a new vehicle, i live paycheck to paycheck working part time, and i'm in the midst of my 3rd of 7 years in college...which is expensive enough on it's own (none of that cheap community college stuff)...

i was planning just pulling the motor and working with my cousins and friends on doing a rebuild, but when every cylinder is significantly low, i really dont know where to start or what to do...and i really dont want to have to get another motor and be the next chino, even though i think i already am...

but i think that pretty much concludes my rant...

F U Z1MOTORSPORTS.COM!!!

Last edited by Riz Z Speed; 12-13-2005 at 12:23 PM.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:22 PM

that sucks dude did u at least call them back for a refund? if not the warrenty that they supply ? if not.. back in california... some times but on very rare times people do go POSTAL.... lol im not telling u do go load up a ar-15 with a 120 rnd beta c mag filled with green tip ss109 ammo oh hell no... then i would get into trouble try to be professional and talk to z-1.. p.s. im going to www.speedlinegroup.com for my twin turbo set up
Old 12-11-2005, 11:17 PM

It is not all that bad. At least the cylinders were all close in the no's right? So you don't have a bad cylinder. If the no's were 130, 130, and 100. then you would be screwed. But seems equal accross, did you squirt oil in the cylinders or was this dry??
Old 12-12-2005, 03:47 AM
confuzed member

try talking with Z1 to get your money back. Tell them the situation and see if they can do anything. If not, I've noticed a bunch of Z1 hating posts on tt.net. all the tt.net'ers always are big critiques but Robert from Z1 usually gets on there and makes sure to get things right. Make this same post without the "F U Z1"at the end. Be somewhat professional and see what he does. Chances are that he'll fix it since it's made public on their biggest supporting website.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:45 AM
Jack Of All Trades

Sorry to hear about your problems. This seems to be a rather common issue with people buying "used" motors. One thing to keep in mind, the motor doesn't have to be fired up to do a compression test. All you need is a battery and some jumper cables hooked to the starter. A leakdown test is simpler, just rotate each piston around to TDC. btw: it can be hard to get good compression numbers on a cold motor that hasn't been run for a while.

Are you at the point that you can't get the motor to run at all? Or are you sharing your experiences here and still working to get it running? I wouldn't cut and run, or do a rebuild yet.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:12 PM
confuzed member

I just saw your post on tt.net. Did you call z1 at all? Z1 is claiming you didn't. You should of called them a long time ago if you really didn't
Old 12-12-2005, 07:14 PM

I m not sure whether or not you actually called Z1 or not. But from my experiences they have been very trust worthy for the most part. I have dealt business with them for years..and I have no real complaints. I think the forum editor soulhd remove your FU Z1 comment, however I feel it is your right to share your story. I do have one question..how did you do the compression test? Did you test the motor cold or warm? If you tested it cold then the numbers WILL BE wrong. The FSM even says..if i remember correcty..to test it while warm. As for the harness...why wouldnt you change it anyway??? Whether or not that is one of the key items that I would have changed out for new anyway before doing the swap.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:30 PM
confuzed member

Originally Posted by WhtFairLadyZ
I m not sure whether or not you actually called Z1 or not. But from my experiences they have been very trust worthy for the most part. I have dealt business with them for years..and I have no real complaints. I think the forum editor soulhd remove your FU Z1 comment, however I feel it is your right to share your story. I do have one question..how did you do the compression test? Did you test the motor cold or warm? If you tested it cold then the numbers WILL BE wrong. The FSM even says..if i remember correcty..to test it while warm. As for the harness...why wouldnt you change it anyway??? Whether or not that is one of the key items that I would have changed out for new anyway before doing the swap.
i think the issue was that they claimed to have tested the motor extensively, thus he probably spent a little extra for that sound of mind, when in fact, there was a lot of evidence showing they didn't test it at all. It's not the issue of having to replace a bunch of stuff as much as it is an issue of them lying and being able to charge extra because of it.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:06 PM

Call and talk to Robert over at Z1. He knows what he's doing and he'll make it right if it needs to be made right. As others have already said, if you haven't called them yet, then you should've done it a while ago.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:45 PM
Old Polish Lady Lover

Location: Cheektowaga, NY...land of nothing but a mall and 10,000 old Polish ladies
it's finals week here so i only read the first of the replies, i do think my "f u" was very unprofessional, and it's not like me at all, so i can take that back...

yes the motor was completely warmed up when i did the compression test, and the battery was fulyl charged and relatively new (less than 6 months old)...

the numbers i got from 3 cylinders were all the same or very close...just one was low by about 15 to 20psi...the last two cylinders i havent even had a chance to do, i have to put it back together, let it warm up again, then take it apart again to do #'s 4 and 6.

the warranty i remember being offered with the engine was i believe a 90 day warranty....well it took us nearly 4 or 5 months after receiving the engine to compensate for all the problems it had, andfinally get it running...and after that i didnt really want to do much more work on it, i made sure everything was running right, and drove it for the last month or so of good weather we have here in buffalo.

i dont see much point in trying to "fix" things with 1 because even if they do offer to send me another engine in exchange for this one or something along those lines, i still have to pay to ship this one back to them...then pay shipping on the new one to come in, i've alraedy paid $1600 in labor for the swap, and even though i feel comfortable enough now with some friends to do the swap myself (swapping the ewngine is a lot easier than doing a complete na to tt conversion too), i still would have to put all that labor into it myself...the money i would spend in the long run would probably end up being as much, if not more, than i would spend just to rebuild this engine...

summary:

i did the compression test right, and the engine is not right...

i was a bit harsh in word choices, and am apologizing here and will be posting the same on all other forums...it's not like me to say what i did, but i was pissed and rightfully so...

no i have not called Z1 recently...i did a while ago when suspecious first arose that the engine had troubles, and was told by somebody other than Robert that I must have "misheard" or something along those lines...and i couldnt really argue that the engine was bad until i had it in the car and running, and could prove so... a friend of mine also had hell stories with his 240 turbo swap, and he got nowhere, so i was more concentraing my efforts on fixing the engine rather than bitching and moaning to the guys that sold it to me....but rest assured i will call Robert, identify myself as the guy i am on here, and see what can be done...

i just honestly dont see me getting anything out of this though...i just dont see how i can win, and everybody on my local forums has told me, plain and simple, that i'm screwed and just have to accept it...but i'll try anyways, can't hurt...and will post back with news, hopefully good news now that i've somewhat calmed down and can show my more professional side....
Old 12-14-2005, 10:21 PM

that sucks, i've had an unpleasant experience with z1's customer service but luckily all i ordered was a JWT Popcharger, set of corners, and some decals (which were unnecessary after the ordeal was over)
Old 12-19-2005, 11:15 AM
Loves Going Topless

When this was posted on 300zx.com Robert got on it right away. I think what we have here is a failure to communicate.
How much time has been spent bashing Z1 and how much time has been spent trying to talk to Robert.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:50 PM
Old Polish Lady Lover

i sent an email to them mid last week, and have yet to hear back, was planning no calling today but i'm gonna be stuck at work until after they close...
Old 12-20-2005, 02:38 PM

thats still sucks.. andu saying u have been raped makes me very anger... i hope if i was to buy from z1 they dont burn me.. cuz every one knows me by now i anit no bullshitter im a go getter ;-)
Old 12-20-2005, 05:39 PM
Jack Of All Trades

Originally Posted by 90NA300ZX
i sent an email to them mid last week, and have yet to hear back, was planning no calling today but i'm gonna be stuck at work until after they close...
I'd say you burned your only bridge of recourse. The potential damage that your posts on three forums caused far outweighs any benefit that Z1 would get by helping you now.

I'm sorry you've had problems with your car, but the problems here appear to be more with your lack of knowledge and experience as much as it is a problem with Z1.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:03 AM
Loves Going Topless

I'd agree with CC, email my ***. Pick up the phone and call him. Just because your at work doesn't mean you can't call him. Do it on your break or at lunch. If it's that important you'll find time to call and quit making excuses. Why do I get the feeling we're only hearing part of the story behind the problem.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:01 AM
Banned

id deffently take the time to call because i just got a used part from Z1 (differntial) an man its perfect it doesnt even look used except where the axles connect im more then satified from Z1 and there used parts so far iv goten all realy top shape stuff
Old 01-19-2006, 01:57 PM

even if i had to drop every thing i would make a call with out thinking twice
Old 01-19-2006, 02:54 PM
confuzed member

ok, no need to bring up old old threads.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:53 PM
Administrative Brown Guy

agreed.
i think this one's done.

thread closed.