300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

wierd Iratic Idle while driving idling ( rolling at 20mph)

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 06:19 AM

wierd Iratic Idle while driving idling ( rolling at 20mph)

Hey guys, Recently i took off my K&N Pop Filter, cleaned it with K&N Cleaner and Oiled it with the K&N Oil.

For a while my car kept souding like it was getting louder, poor gas mileage, and seemed to vibrate alot. I checked my AIr filter and it was dirty.

Took it off Cleaned it, Let it dry overnight , oiled it in morning and put it back on 8 hours later around. I reset my ECU by leaving the Battery off. Now the car is low as hell, i even have to look at the rpms to see if its on. wich is great, I also, bought a can of Seafoam and put it in my GAS since i havent used any injector cleaner within my last oil change so it was time for a cleaner, i filled up with Shell 93 after woods like your supposed to.

NOW the car used to do this before and now after the filter clean,
Im driving down the block 20mph, i let go of the gas, and the car idles iratically. From 700-1000 around, i have no idea why or what causes this.

I was also at a light after cleaning the air filter and the car randomly idled irratically and actually turned off this time. wierd, isnt it.

In the past my ECU has only thrown a Left o2 sensor code and a Coolant Temp Sensor Code. I replace the 02 and the coolant sensor i just wigled the wire and made a better connection.

If this can be caused by the coolant sensor i am going to replace it, even though its not giving off any Codes,

also in the morning startup it has an aroma of Gas, not too the point of an fuel leak, ( i have had one before ) so i think it might be an injector? ive heard of seafoam doing magic on injectors, hence why i got seafoam instead of reg injector cleaner.

I was also going to clean out the car via vacume line with another can of seafoam i have, I didnt do this yet, because i dont want to make more problems if dirty isnt the problem!
Thanks for anyone who can help me out w/ any suggestions/tips/etc. Thanks guys!!
Old 01-04-2006, 06:42 AM
Jack Of All Trades

First off, Not knowing how many miles since you cleaned the air filter, If you put alot of oil on it, it will restirct the air flow for a bit. Revving it out will pull the excess oil thru and it'll run better.

Even tho you did the one o2. Re-check the ecu codes. The other one could be bad. And fix the coolant temp. connector. Clean it, and if it's loose, you can bend the wire end of the connector a little to make it fit tighter.

After that, check for vacuum leaks. On the Seafoam, it sounds like it helps, but what people don't do is get it thru the t/b's and idle control valve. I did a write-up, on another forum, where I came up with a way to clean the t/b's and stuff without dis-assembly. I clean mine at every oil change. For me, it gets rid of the part throttle exhaust popping and erratic idle.

Also, check and clean you other electrical connections..... focusing on the MAF sensor, TPS and CAS.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:04 AM

thanks carver, will do,

i did notice excess oil on the filter, ill def do the high rev outs to see if i can clean it out.

im going to do the seafoam through the brake booster, i dont know how to get it throguth the throttle bodies, everytime i try to clean them w/o dissabmle my car stalls lol

if u have the other forum post can i get it to read?
Old 01-04-2006, 12:10 PM
Jack Of All Trades

Originally Posted by mm107
I link to it later today.

Last edited by CanyonCarver; 01-04-2006 at 06:07 PM.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:38 PM
Administrative Brown Guy

erratic idle like that sounds like the TPS or possibly the MAF sensor to me. I'd check/clean those out also.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:08 PM
Jack Of All Trades

Originally Posted by mm107
Here's the link....... Throttle Body and IACV Maintenance

I was surprised I didn't get flamed away for doing my little write-up. Like I said, I perform the cleaning process every time I change my oil. I will attest to improved performance after each time. Like the SeaFoam, I run enough cleaner thru to clean the valves, pistons and somewhat the o2's, of carbon deposits.

If Rizz said he didn't mind, I could post my write-ups here too.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:39 PM
Über User

jiffy-lube will do that to for like 50 bucks......HA....my budy works for them they get free oil chagnes every 3 months and 50 percent off on everything esle...that is pretty convienent