300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Yet another idle problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 12:22 PM

Yet another idle problem

Ok. Cleaned my Throttle Bodies. They were horrible dirty. The gaskets i reused were fine condition but little wear and tear on them. only parts missing were some outer edge around where the bolts would go through. So if that could be my problem then damn lol

But here it goes. The care runs faster, smoother, and accelaration has improved.

But idle is still spiratic. Not High, Spiratic now. It goes up and down. Sometimes its right under 1k. and then after some driving and BRAKING it jumps. Braking hard causes the car to feel rough during the brake.

Maybe since i figured 1 problem (dirty throttle bodies) maybe it uncovered another problem.

P.S. I was leaking coolant from the right side throttle bodie wich the hose just wasnt on tight. Can leaking coolant cause that type of idle? I brought the car to the shop today so i hope it comes back perfect. I just want to ask just incase he is stumped too i can give him some tips on what and where to check.

I cleaned all sensors too. TPS, AAC, Engine Coolant, And used Di-electric grease on all connections.

Ive read that braking causes this when the AAC valve is faulty. Right now i have my idle screw all the way in. and the idle is still high too BTW.

Thanks and i hope some one can help! I Got to sell my baby soon and i want her to be perfect for the next guy
Old 08-03-2005, 12:35 PM
Administrative Brown Guy

sounds like a vacuum leak.
Check your MAF sensor connection as well.
Reset ECU by battery disconnect sometimes that helps after you've done some maintanence.
why you sellin the Z?
Old 08-03-2005, 04:35 PM

It's odd... My Civic had a horribly sparatic idle when the coolant level was low. The car over heated one day (I'm retarded), I filled the Radiator back up... Idled smooth. As for your Engine increasing in RPM under heavy braking... Do this. When the car is idling, pump the brake quickly. The RPM rises. It's because your Brake Booster is worked into your vacuum system. Everything is connected.

Also, do what Riz said. That will help some, I'm sure.

Good luck man.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:27 PM
Jack Of All Trades

then maybe try cleaning your iacv.
Old 08-03-2005, 06:43 PM
Southern Speedster

I also would recommend ruling out a vacuum leak. I recommend the leak tester from boostpro.

http://boostpro.net/prodz32tester.html

It may be that something silly like you dipstick is not sealing well.

TIP: do NOT use over 6-7psi on that product. Make sure you tighten the MAS hose clamp tight.