300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Z moving to the right

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2003, 02:08 PM
I'm Chillin

You probably need to check to see if you bent the frame at all! You also, if you have not already, should check all the parts to the suspension like the a-arms, tie rod, rack steering ect.. to see if you bent any of these parts ect.. Other than that I think I am out of ideas.
Old 10-26-2003, 03:47 PM

Man If your frame is bent, get that damn car off your hands ASAP! Unless you feel like purchasing a new una-body and doing a swap onto that one.... Which I am going to have to do.. DAMNIT.
Old 10-27-2003, 08:47 AM
I'm Chillin

To be honest with you, everything cannot be fixed that you bent or you would not be having a problem right now. Look at anything that your wheel is connected to, check the bushings and look for weird shapes, have your steering column checked along with the rack system. May-be start with all the steering components first (since that is the direct problem) and work your way toward the wheel that hit the curb.
Old 10-27-2003, 07:58 PM
I'm Chillin

It a good point, but it is almost impossible the natural pull for safety since it was not like that before he hit the curb. Just a thought!
Old 01-06-2004, 10:03 PM

This is an old thread, but I figured I'd answer your question anyway. You could have a problem with the toe on the car. Toe and camber are to different things. You can purchase adjustable tension rods. This allows you to adjust the toe on the car. Likely what happened when you hit the curb if that you knocked the toe out, i.e., you made the right front wheel point slightly to the right, thus causing the car to have a tendency to go right. Tension Rods will allow you to adjust that problem. Unfortunately it does not always work. If you did bend the strut mount (upper or lower), you could be chasing an endless problem. Tension rods aren't too expensive. IMO, it's worth a try.
Old 01-07-2004, 07:23 PM
Administrative Brown Guy

front tension rods
Old 01-07-2004, 07:23 PM
Administrative Brown Guy

front suspension
1+1=2
Old 01-07-2004, 09:14 PM

I'll go into this a little deeper than Rizz appears to want to.

Toe and camber are two different things. Toe refers to the direction that your wheels point. Here's an example. Pretend you are 'X' and you are standing on the engine. The slashes (/, |, \) are your wheels.
Front of car
This is Toe Out \ X /.

| |
Back of car.
See how the front tires point out. That's toe-out.

Front of car
This is Toe in / X \

| |
Back of car
See how the front tires point in. That's toe in.

You want all the tires pointing to the front. You may have some toe in for the back onf the car. It generally will handle better. These diagrams are obvious overexaggerations. If you can actually see the tires pointing in or out, then that is a problem. You should start there.

Camber is another beast. The easiest way to describe is like this. Try to envision the bumper of your car is gone so that you can see the tires from the front of the car. If the tops of the tires are closer together than the bottoms of the tires, then that is negative camber. The opposite is positive camber. We'll use the same slashes, but envision you're standing in front of the car.

This is negative camber / \.

This is positive camber \ /.

You're car probably has slightly negative camber. Once again, it handles better that way.

Tesnsion rods, as pictured above can help correct Toe in or out problems, but do nothing for camber.

Happy hunting.
Old 01-07-2004, 09:20 PM

The toe-in and out diagrams didn't show up right. Here they are again.

Toe in
front
/ X \

| |
back

Toe out
front
\ x /

| |
back
That should work.

If you have a headache after reading this, wash 3 advil down with a 6-pack of beer, then take your car to a mechanic once you've purchased your tension rods and ask him to install them.
Old 01-08-2004, 05:36 PM

Ok, so when you're coming to a stop, the steering wheel shakes. What happens when you step on the brakes real hard? Does the shaking improve, or does it get worse? If it improves, it's your tension rods. You could look under the car for the tension rods. They have oil filled bushings. If they are shot, they MAY be leaking. If you're just cruising along at 65 without applying the brakes and the car is shaking, it may not be the alignment. It could be that your tires are out of balance. It also could be that your tires are not properly inflated. The air pressure in a Z32 should be 32 PSI. The vibrating could be that your brake rotors are warped; which is very common with the stock brakes. I'm still thinking tension rods.
Old 01-09-2004, 09:57 AM

So when you step on the brakes real hard it dives to the right. Does the vibration improve? If so, then I'd start with the tension rods. Could be your front left brake caliper is not working. You may want to take it to brake shop. How long have you had your brake pads? If you had them awhile, then you should be able to remove the front wheels and compare the brake pad wear. If the wear on right side is greater than that on the left, then it's probably not working properly. Might be idea to take it to a brake shop. They could inspect it. It probably would be less expensive than replacing the tension rods. I still think that the tension rod busings are shot and the toe is knocked out of spec on the front right. It could also be a combination of the 2. The shop that did the alignment should be able to measure toe and tell you if it's out of spec. If you don't have the adjustable tension rods, then you can't adjust the toe. You could have brake, tension rod bushing and toe problems. Get the alignment specs form the shop to see what the toe is at. INspect your brake pads, then go from there.
Old 01-09-2004, 04:42 PM

Well anything's possible, but if it's the frame you're screwed. I prefer to think more positively. I'd like to see you get fixed and I have never trusted mechanics. You could have a seized, or partially seized caliper. Your brake fluid won't tell you anything. Even if it is the frame, the adjustable tension rods would allow you to adjust some of the problem out. Rizz showed you a diagram of the front suspenaion earlier. The bushings (shown in purple) could be worn, but that's not as likely. You can get adjustable Tension rods for $250. Take some time this weekend to inspect it yourself, if you can.

Jack the front end of the car up. Print out the diagram Rizz included earlier.

1st- Check the wear on your front brake pads (inside & outside pads) to verify they're even. Of course you're going to need to take the wheels off. If they're not, that may be your problem. If they are, then move on.

2nd- Inspect the tension rod bushings for any leaking or cracking. If you see either, then that's likely your problem. If you don't then the tension rods may be fine.

3rd- Try to shake the front suspension assembly back and forth. Just grab the brake rotor and try to move it front to back repeatedly. You don't want to turn the wheels, you just want to see if there's any "play" in the assembly.

If none of this works, then you may be fukt. Like I said, adjustable tension rods would allow the adjust out some of your problem, but it may be an endless problem. You could see premature tire wear; which gets expensive.

I probably should've asked this 1st, but how fast were you going when you hit the curb?
Old 01-10-2004, 05:50 PM

When you bend the frame it's almost impossible to get it back to original. When you straighten the frame you will improve the problem, if that's the case, but it won't go away all together. You didn't answer my other question....How fast were you going when you hit the curb?

Quick Reply: Z moving to the right