300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Z32 N/A KA24DE Swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 12:20 PM
Jack Of All Trades

New custom d/s out of steel is ~$200, less if you wanna use the old yoke and diff flange..... out of AL is ~$350.
Old 10-13-2006, 03:28 PM
confuzed member

You can pull a 1.1g with a VG in the bay. 10.5 sec in the 1/4? good luck with 600hp and less torque.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:05 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Please buy some other car. I, as well as several other Z enthusiasts (I'm sure) do not want you as part of our community if your intention is to bastardize a Z32.

Go buy a Civic... they come with almighty 4 cylinder engines from the factory and it doesn't take much at all to get them to do 1.1 in the skidpad and 10.5 in the quarter mile.

(Seriously, fellow Z owners, why can't our community be more like that of Corvette owners...? You don't see dumbasses going to them and saying "I want to put a I4 or V6 in a C5 Vette even though it comes with a more capable V8.")
Old 10-13-2006, 06:14 PM

I'm reminiscing of some words......coughBLACKCROWcough......

If you pulled this off i'd give you a high five for having some *****, but if you want 600hp from a KA then ***** will be the thing that is lacking.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:17 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Clever!

Originally Posted by CraigS

If you pulled this off i'd give you a high five for having some *****, but if you want 600hp from a KA then ***** will be the thing that is lacking.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:13 AM
confuzed member

Originally Posted by CraigS

haha, awesome! and, yes I agree zlover....in the same sense you don't really hear about cupra owners wanting to swap a 2jzgte out to put in a tercel motor....or a skyline owner swapping in KA...it doesn't really happen....why does it to Z's?!
Old 10-16-2006, 07:27 AM

Well Thanks :)

Thanks guy, now I am full speed ahead on the project. And actually the GT series in Japan the supra drivers do swap for the 4 cylinders, thats where i orignally got the idea from. And yes, i do have the ***** to do it.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:43 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by Phyregold
Thanks guy, now I am full speed ahead on the project. And actually the GT series in Japan the supra drivers do swap for the 4 cylinders, thats where i orignally got the idea from. And yes, i do have the ***** to do it.
Post some pics of the project!
Old 10-16-2006, 07:55 AM
Bad Speller

Originally Posted by Phyregold
actually the only supra with a 4anger I know of is teh Top secret supra. and its a damn good reason the Littel MR2 motor is pumping out 700 ponies.

for reference the KA does make more torque than HP. I'll have dyno charts of my friends KA-T project soon.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:58 AM
Über User

yes....i really wanna see a KA-t in a 300...well...i dont.....but i wanna see this project in particular and then see what it can do, i guess im curious to see how benificial it turned out....or didnt...
Old 10-16-2006, 01:11 PM
confuzed member

Yes, the top secret supra has a 3s-gte in it. Then again, I don't know if the top secret supra has broken any records, so that may tell you how beneficial it is b/c top secret has A LOT of money in that car. bardabe, the KA puts out more torque than hp?! even at high boost levels? That'd be interesting to see...that would impress me kinda.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:24 PM
Über User

i know it makes more torque than the SR cause it has a long stroke and of coarse....bigger bore.....so they make decent torque for a 4 banger...
Old 10-16-2006, 03:01 PM
confuzed member

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
i know it makes more torque than the SR cause it has a long stroke and of coarse....bigger bore.....so they make decent torque for a 4 banger...
well, that's obvious. I just want to see a high hp KA making more torque than it does hp.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:30 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

ummmm.... seriously, whether it makes more horsepower or torque doesn't matter when you consider the fact that it's still going to make less than an equally modified VG30DETT based on the principles of physics (which basically state that an engine with more displacement will make more power, all else being equal - anyone intending on debating this better know what they're talking about and consider my words very carefully).

So even if it makes more torque than horsepower, it's still making less torque and horsepower than an equally modded VG30.

Last edited by ZLover4Life; 10-16-2006 at 04:34 PM.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:10 PM
Queen of Yachts

Location: warmspott, trollville.......somewhere sailing the seas--fla, virgin islands...wherever....warm water....LOL
no one ever found out WHY does this human wish tomchange out his engine??? why not just rebuild the one in the car?? is there a new rule that rebuilding is not cool?? i know the z32 is more expensive to rebuiold than is the z312--i was quoted 5k$ for rebuild---RETAIL---inSANDYAGUEGO......where everything costs more.............
Old 10-16-2006, 05:21 PM
Jack Of All Trades

Originally Posted by ZLover4Life
.....all else being equal - anyone intending on debating this better know what they're talking about and consider my words very carefully).
So I can close the loop on the discussion,,,, ls1 > vg30 and no debate.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:48 PM
Doesn't post much...

Please buy some other car. I, as well as several other Z enthusiasts (I'm sure) do not want you as part of our community if your intention is to bastardize a Z32.

Go buy a Civic... they come with almighty 4 cylinder engines from the factory and it doesn't take much at all to get them to do 1.1 in the skidpad and 10.5 in the quarter mile.

(Seriously, fellow Z owners, why can't our community be more like that of Corvette owners...? You don't see dumbasses going to them and saying "I want to put a I4 or V6 in a C5 Vette even though it comes with a more capable V8.")
I love you man!

That was awesome.

Now, Exactly why do we want to put a KA motor in a Z32 again? I must have missed it somewhere. I thought the idea was to improve performance...

I think I'll drop an old school 1.1 liter 3 Cylinder Suzuki Metro motor in my S130 now and see how much crazy HP I can squeeze out of it... Just to say i did it!

Rod.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:50 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

this swap still amkes no sense to me. why spend MORE money to make your car LESS capable??? i have a feeling it will cost you a good deal more to do this than it would to put in a vg30dett, due to the fact that there will be a good deal of custom fab to get it in. this idea is absolutely rediculous. any minor weight and balance gains you might achieve will be grossly offset by the lack of performance compared to the vg. it is blatantly obvious that you have done no REAL research into this, otherwise you would have never considered this as a viable option.just trying to help you not waste your money.

Last edited by entropy31; 10-16-2006 at 05:54 PM.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:36 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Originally Posted by CanyonCarver
So I can close the loop on the discussion,,,, ls1 > vg30 and no debate.
Psshhh.. the newest LS1s were outdated 10 years ago by technology standards. I said all else being equal... outdated technology vs. state of the art even by today's standards are not equal. lol

Seriously, pushrods? When will American automobile manufacturers figure out that DOHC and multiple intake/exhaust valves per cylinder (other than Fords "oh so great 3 valves per cylinder"... considering some VWs now have 5) are better for performance and economy? lol

If you took a 5.7L block, gave it DOHC with VTC, and had Nissan do the tuning, it'd easily make more than the 350-405bhp that the American-made LS1s produce, and they'd do it with better emissions and fuel economy, thus not hurting their regulations by the government.

(I know you're joking, but I was seriously expecting someone to chime in with that kind of comparison so I could point out that all else is not equal in such a case.) =D

And I'm with you guys... the concept of this swap utterly disgusts me and pushes me further into misanthropism.

Last edited by ZLover4Life; 10-16-2006 at 07:39 PM.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:57 PM
Über User

wow....i hate puchrods two....why one cam for a V and....an then why not two...and why not throw them on top of each bank? when i realized the new vettes were still using this crap....i was just like....wow.....and put hte magazine down and went in to finish my ortho appointment that so graciously had motor trend mag. and he never gave a REAL reason...just said doing a 1.1 on the skid and a 10.4 in the quarter with a 4 banger.....i think....but, then why not just do this to a 240sx and be respectable amoung that communtiy...i would give you props for that to...it is impresive...but your defacing a prodigy of japanese engineering by doing this.....ugh, well i hope he's like most kids and all talk but no show.
Old 10-21-2006, 04:38 PM
Bad Speller

I think U'll spend just as much money trying to drop in a KA on a Z32 than an RB25... and it still dosent make sence the RB would still be more powerfull/potentent but non the less unless its a 26 the VG30 is more capable.
Old 10-21-2006, 05:53 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Originally Posted by bardabe
... unless its a 26 the VG30 is more capable.
I restate my previous quote... all else being equal, a larger engine will make more power.

The reason there are higher output RB26DETs in the world is that they're easy to modify [read: bolt on a massive single turbo] due to space. An equally modified VG30DETT will make more power based on the laws of physics.

The only real-world advantage that the RB26 (or any inline 6, including the 2JZ) has on the VG30DETT is that they have more main bearings (7, IIRC, compared to the 4 we have), thus making them less prone to spun bearings.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:39 PM
Bad Speller

The only real-world advantage that the RB26 (or any inline 6, including the 2JZ) has on the VG30DETT is that they have more main bearings (7, IIRC, compared to the 4 we have), thus making them less prone to spun bearings.
I rest my case
Old 10-23-2006, 02:38 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

... uhhhh.... no... I rested mine.

You made it seem that the RB26 will make more power than a VG30, which isn't true.

I pointed out that it has more main bearings, and that's the only advantage it has (which is easily cancelled out by the considerable loss in displacement), and you somehow think you won the debate?

Reguardless of how many more main bearings the RB26 has, I've never spun a bearing and it's not a common occurence with the VG30 anyway, so it's more of a "just in case" advantage, at that.

I must be missing something...

Last edited by ZLover4Life; 10-23-2006 at 02:42 PM.
Old 10-23-2006, 02:44 PM
Über User

ok....i could proabably figure this one out myself...but besides more main bearings...what does an inline have over a V ???? like i guess the V is a better horespower plant since there are almost no inline 6's left..yet there are no V 4's.....so which is better????? or is there no answer to that?

Quick Reply: Z32 N/A KA24DE Swap