300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Z32 N/A KA24DE Swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 03:08 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
ok....i could proabably figure this one out myself...but besides more main bearings...what does an inline have over a V ???? like i guess the V is a better horespower plant since there are almost no inline 6's left..yet there are no V 4's.....so which is better????? or is there no answer to that?
There is no answer to that.

Inline 6s died out because of their length... they are so long that it has an effect on styling (consider the long noses of Supras and S30/S130s of yesteryear), in addition to the huge shift towards front wheel drive. You can't squeeze a long inline 6 into a front wheel drive car, and since economy has become a major concern in the automotive industry, front wheel drive has become more common as it is more efficient.

The goal of the automotive industry is to generally put the biggest displacement engine into the smallest package; V engines do that best. I4s are smaller, so they don't have a notable impact on style, and as a result there's no common reason to make them in a V configuration (they're small enough to begin with, usually).

However, you are wrong about there being no V4s... there several are V4 engines in existence. Not only are they used on motorcycles (due to their small overall size), but Ford used one in their German Taunus, and Saab used one in the Sonett as well. Again, the V configuration is used when space is a concern; in these cases, motorcycles and tiny econoboxes.

In terms of performance, V6 or I6 makes no real difference.

Inline engines are easier to work on due to more space on the sides, hence why you can fit a massive single turbo on a 2JZ or RB26, but if you were to bolt equivalent twins onto a VG30, it'd make as much power as the [nearly equal sized] 2JZ and more power than the [smaller] RB26, all else being equal (intake setups, throttle body sizing, manifold flow, etc - keep in mind, the VG30 does excell in overall flow and there's not much room for improvement).

Last edited by ZLover4Life; 10-23-2006 at 03:20 PM.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:12 PM
confuzed member

Originally Posted by ZLover4Life
There is no answer to that.

Inline 6s died out because of their length... they are so long that it has an effect on styling (consider the long noses of Supras and S30/S130s of yesteryear).

The goal of the automotive industry is to generally put the biggest displacement engine into the smallest package; V engines do that best. I4s are smaller, so they don't have a notable impact on style, and as a result there's no reason to make them in a V configuration. If I recall correctly, VW did make a V4 once though.

In terms of performance, V6 or I6 makes no real difference.

Inline engines are easier to work on due to more space on the sides, hence why you can fit a massive single turbo on a 2JZ or RB26, but if you were to bolt equivalent twins onto a VG30, it'd make as much power as the [nearly equal sized] 2JZ and more power than the [smaller] RB26, all else being equal.
Yes they did.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:24 PM
Über User

thanks for that...and after posting no V4's i knew i would redret it....but meh....you know what i meant
Old 10-23-2006, 08:09 PM
Bad Speller

Originally Posted by ZLover4Life
... uhhhh.... no... I rested mine.

You made it seem that the RB26 will make more power than a VG30, which isn't true.

I pointed out that it has more main bearings, and that's the only advantage it has (which is easily cancelled out by the considerable loss in displacement), and you somehow think you won the debate?

Reguardless of how many more main bearings the RB26 has, I've never spun a bearing and it's not a common occurence with the VG30 anyway, so it's more of a "just in case" advantage, at that.

I must be missing something...
notice I made the "real world" bold. I might not be the best in spelling/grammar. but the hell with it. the reason I said it is not cause of laws of phisycs and technicalaties (much respect to your encyclopeidic knowledge) but his only option for equal or about the same power would be an RB26. unless he has a grip load of money to dump in building an RB30... wich then just becomes alot more complicated. and alot more pricier than a fully built VG. but its all to be "diferent" right? not saying you a re wrong. just saying in reality. not technically.