Vegas 350Z Club Where its all about Sin City and the 350Z..

Porsche VS. G35 w/ Vortech S/C

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 06:55 PM

Porsche VS. G35 w/ Vortech S/C

Is the Vortech Supercharger really better in regards to power, fuel efficiency, warranty and less damage to the engine. I have a 03 G35 6MT, and was thinking of getting/trading it for a Porsche 911, but I was thinking maybe I should just modify my G35 instead, coz it might be less expensive and will be more faster on redline, and better in handling when modified.

For some of you guys that have modified your G35 and come face to face with a 911, was it worth the mods?

What kind of modifications have your done on the engine, handling, etc.?

I am new at this and had only changed to K&N air intake thus far.

Thanks!
prvtman
Old 01-31-2006, 07:22 PM
Las Vegas Moderator

Welcome! Modifying your G35 will be cheaper than buying the Porsche if done right. Porsches are easy targets for an F/I G35. I wouldn't go with the Vortech though. Look into a turbo setup. Are you looking to beat a Porsche on a straight line or on a road course?
Old 01-31-2006, 08:44 PM

Porsche 911 vs. G35

Porsches are easy targets for an F/I G35 (What do you mean K/I G35?).

I wouldn't go with the Vortech though. ...What do you recommend?? I dont really like nitro because I heard it tends to ruin engines.

Look into a turbo setup.....Is the turbo setup really expensive and high maintainance?

Are you looking to beat a Porsche on a straight line or on a road course? Mostly on a straight line street racing.

If you are from Las Vegas, NV, do you know any shops or deals on the net? What do you look for in a shop that specialize on mods?

Thanks for your input!!

Prvtman
Old 02-01-2006, 07:14 AM
Las Vegas Moderator

Originally Posted by prvtman

1. (What do you mean K/I G35?).

2. What do you recommend?? I dont really like nitro because I heard it tends to ruin engines.

3. Is the turbo setup really expensive and high maintainance?

4. If you are from Las Vegas, NV, do you know any shops or deals on the net? What do you look for in a shop that specialize on mods?

Thanks for your input!!

Prvtman
1. F/I means Forced Induction as in supercharged or turbocharged.

2. Again, I suggest a turbo setup. You are going to put a lot more into a supercharger to get it to beat a Porsche easily. Our motors cannot hold enough nitrous to even come close to a Porsche.

3. Turbos are more expensive to buy, install, and tune than superchargers, but its still WAY cheaper than a Porsche. Maintenance is minimal.

4. Unfortunately there are no good shops in Vegas so all we have to order from is the internet. Depending on what kit you go for there is different places. Violent Racing Technology (VRT) can do a Jim Wolfe Twin Turbo kit on your motor for $10,500. Thats for the kit, install and tune. They are in San Diego. www.violentracing.com
Old 02-01-2006, 08:31 AM

Hey Mike, what are those guys using for engine management?
Old 02-01-2006, 09:08 AM
Las Vegas Moderator

Split Second piggyback ECU
Old 02-01-2006, 11:23 AM

I suggest sticking w/ the G for a while. It will save you a lot of money in maintenance alone. The mod bug will always be present and if have a Porcshe, it will be a much more expensive mod bug. I'd also suggest twins over SC, but thats just me. With the S/C, there a lot of limits, and when you want to surpass the basics, you will have a harder time doing it.

BTW, Welcome!
Old 02-01-2006, 01:57 PM
Vegas 350Z Moderator

Originally Posted by 350ZNV
Violent Racing Technology (VRT) can do a Jim Wolfe Twin Turbo kit on your motor for $10,500. Thats for the kit, install and tune.
Holy crap! I asked Mike @ VRT about a quote, he asked me questions, but I haven't responded. I didn't expect it to go up that far in price! Does that include your built motor as well? If it does, then it's hella worth it.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:22 PM

That's probably on stock internals. I'd guess a built motor would cost a bit more.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by ensmuns
Holy crap! I asked Mike @ VRT about a quote, he asked me questions, but I haven't responded. I didn't expect it to go up that far in price! Does that include your built motor as well? If it does, then it's hella worth it.

thats on stock motor. i talked to scott the other day for a while. the kit plus tuning is about 10-11k. a motor build on top of that is about another 6k. then you can do suspension, wheels and tires, brakes, etc,etc,etc. the more you buy the better the prices get. I talked to scott for quite a while on the phone, and he seemed like a great guy to work with, so i will be saving some cash and sending my car to them in the future.

oh and for the thread starter.... i would go FI instead of going to a porsche. I always prefer a modded car over a more expensive stock car. plus, there is nothing better than the look of a porsche owners face when you murder his 100k car on the highway. i always enjoyed racing corvettes in my turbo RSX cause they never saw it comin and you could see the dissapointment on their face when they lost to my little four banger acura

Last edited by pope; 02-01-2006 at 02:39 PM.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:23 PM
Las Vegas Moderator

Good choice with VRT pope.

Ensmuns - IMO thats a very good price for a twin turbo kit + install + tuned by Jim Wolf himself. Every twin turbo kit will be around there if not more expensive after install and tune.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:43 PM

Good choice with VRT pope.

Ensmuns - IMO thats a very good price for a twin turbo kit + install + tuned by Jim Wolf himself. Every twin turbo kit will be around there if not more expensive after install and tune.

My APS would have been a tad higher if I had not done the install myself. DOn't forget to ask for injector upgrades!

BTW, Mike, what size injectors are you using?

Last edited by Love2ridepow; 02-01-2006 at 03:46 PM.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Love2ridepow
My APS would have been a tad higher if I had not done the install myself. DOn't forget to ask for injector upgrades!

what was your total cost after tune and everything, if you dont mind me asking.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:53 PM
Las Vegas Moderator

BTW, Mike, what size injectors are you using?
With the JWT TT you don't need injector upgrades. *sighs* this is the complicated issue that sparked so many heated debates on other forums, but here goes...

I am running 440 injectors, but Jim Wolf is using a fuel system that is not used by any other turbo kit on the market for the VQ motor. This "secret" is not supposed to be told because he doesn't want another turbo company taking his idea before he releases his kit to the public. All you can do right now is trust me when I say that 440 injectors are perfect for my car. When they did the first built motor JWT TT kit they started with 650 injectors, then 550, then 500, and so on. What they ended up with was 440s. My injectors are never at more than 80% duty cycle. I know it makes no sense, but once the info is released it is really an interesting system.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:08 PM

it's like a VTEC for injectors - an extra one pops up when you gun it!!!!!???
Old 02-01-2006, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by pope
what was your total cost after tune and everything, if you dont mind me asking.

I estimate tune at @$250 (still have not had it done). Let me Just say w/o plenum or exhaust, I paid a good amount less then $7k shipped! Not sure anyone else has got that good of a deal, I just had extremely good timing...
Old 02-01-2006, 04:14 PM

With the JWT TT you don't need injector upgrades. *sighs* this is the complicated issue that sparked so many heated debates on other forums, but here goes...

I am running 440 injectors, but Jim Wolf is using a fuel system that is not used by any other turbo kit on the market for the VQ motor. This "secret" is not supposed to be told because he doesn't want another turbo company taking his idea before he releases his kit to the public. All you can do right now is trust me when I say that 440 injectors are perfect for my car. When they did the first built motor JWT TT kit they started with 650 injectors, then 550, then 500, and so on. What they ended up with was 440s. My injectors are never at more than 80% duty cycle. I know it makes no sense, but once the info is released it is really an interesting system.

I know it's a heated debate....from my understanding, coming from the mad genius who helped me install my kit, fuel pressure is only one element in the fuel system equation. You can have 1000psi in your fuel system, but if your injectors are too small there will not be enough fuel for FI on a stock system.

PS, I am no mechanical genius, but I do understand what makes sense.

Peter posted this on a site and I thought it was a great tool for those concerned. http://www.rceng.com/technical.htm#WORKSHEET

Last edited by Love2ridepow; 02-01-2006 at 04:17 PM.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:18 PM
Las Vegas Moderator

I know it's a heated debate....from my understanding, coming from the mad genius who helped me install my kit, fuel pressure is only one element in the fuel system equation. You can have 1000psi in your fuel system, but if your injectors are too small there will not be enough fuel for FI on a stock system.

PS, I am no mechanical genius, but I do understand what makes sense.
I understand, but Jim Wolf's secret to his success with the fuel system is much more than running higher pressure through the injectors.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:29 PM

I understand, but Jim Wolf's secret to his success with the fuel system is much more than running higher pressure through the injectors.

ok, I hope the secret works. I love the kit, but, personally, there is no way I would trust stock injectors on ANY FI kit. thats just me though...maybe if i was happy w/ less than 400whp
Old 02-01-2006, 04:40 PM
Las Vegas Moderator

ok, I hope the secret works. I love the kit, but, personally, there is no way I would trust stock injectors on ANY FI kit. thats just me though...maybe if i was happy w/ less than 400whp
I am not running stock injectors. The non-built motor cars are running stock injectors, and I agree with you about the injectors 110%...on other kits.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:55 PM

I am not running stock injectors. The non-built motor cars are running stock injectors, and I agree with you about the injectors 110%...on other kits.

oh yeah, I know "doubledown" is not running stock, that would just be crazy. Can you PM me the secret, I have to tell my mad scientist buddy. He loves new developments like that.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:18 PM
Vegas 350Z Moderator

oh yeah, I know "doubledown" is not running stock, that would just be crazy. Can you PM me the secret, I have to tell my mad scientist buddy. He loves new developments like that.
Uh-oh, sharing trade secrets, eh? So this is the type of stuff that goes on? I'm majoring in Security Management concentrating on Physical and Workplace Security, so I'm kinda reading into it too much!
Old 02-01-2006, 06:27 PM

You guys are going to be the death of me... and my checking account.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by roneski
You guys are going to be the death of me... and my checking account.
You have something left in your checking accout? I thought you'd be on the credit cards by now

edit: btw I say go with the porsche.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:52 AM

Damn, decisions, decisions...

Anyone want to help pe install a Stillen SC?

Quick Reply: Porsche VS. G35 w/ Vortech S/C